Need a good Scottish 60/70 recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbnj

Reaction score
I am looking for a good Scottish 60 or 70 recipe. My dad, who is Scottish, has retired and we are throwing a surprise party for him. I have BCS so if anyone has input on those recipes that would be great too. I searched and found a bunch but they don't always have reviews of the finished product. There didn't seem to be like a preferred one like EdWort's Pale Ale for example. My only plans so far are to use Golden Promise as a base, WLP028 yeast, I will probably caramelize the first runnings, and this will be kegged. Thank you for any help!

This one was a huge hit. The two things that are on the harder side to find are the Carabrown Malt (Briess) and Wyeast's Yorkshire Ale 1469. If you need substitutes, try a darkish crystal for the carabrown and a scottish ale strain for the 1469. I just liked the breadiness of the yorkshire strain.

6 Gal batch
OG: 1037
FG: 1011
75% Eff.
IBU 14.9
SRM 12.6

6# Optic or Maris Otter
10 oz. Carabrown
10 oz. Special Roast
8 oz. Honey Malt
4 oz. Pale Chocolate

1 oz. EKG (5.8%) @ 30 min.

Pitch a starter of Wyeast 1469

Thanks, did you do a carmelization of the wort by boiling down?

I'd do it. I made one with a combo of Golden Promise, Mild Malt and a hint of Roasted Barley for color. Boilded a gallon of the first runnings. Turned out great.

Back