Need a good recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ti28

Reaction score
I have two packs of s04 that I want to use. Anyone got any good 5 gallon recipes they would like to share? I tend to like IPA's,APA's and so on.

I wouldn't mind a stout, but it's got to be realllllly good. I tried making a Cream stout and I didn't like it. Gave it all away.

6 lbs Ultralight (or the lightest you can find) DME
8 oz Crystal 40 (steeped)
4 oz Crystal 60 (steeped)

1 oz Cascade at 60 mins
1 oz Cascade at 40 mins
1 oz Cascade at 5 mins
1 oz Cascade at 1 min

Simple and good. Can't go wrong.

Thank you very,very much. Going to order it right now. Now I can get rid of these two packs of dry yeast.

I guess this would be a IPA now?

I use S04 for IPAs, APAs, English style ales, stouts, American ambers, etc.

As long as you keep it under 67-68 degrees, it's very "clean" and not estery at all. An added bonus is that it clears the beer very well, leaving brilliantly clear beer and a nice compact yeast cake to rack off of. It's much clearer than the more popular S05, and I prefer it for most beers.

Depends on the AA of the Cascade you get but it'll be somewhere in the Pale Ale range. You can get the IBU by entering in the hop additions into Beer Calculus (it is free). If you post the exact AA of the Cascade you're going to use I'll fine tune it for you.

I use S04 for IPAs, APAs, English style ales, stouts, American ambers, etc.

As long as you keep it under 67-68 degrees, it's very "clean" and not estery at all. An added bonus is that it clears the beer very well, leaving brilliantly clear beer and a nice compact yeast cake to rack off of. It's much clearer than the more popular S05, and I prefer it for most beers.

Thanks Yoop! Sounds like this is a purdy good yeast for my style likings!

Depends on the AA of the Cascade you get but it'll be somewhere in the Pale Ale range. You can get the IBU by entering in the hop additions into Beer Calculus (it is free). If you post the exact IBU of the Cascade you're going to use I'll fine tune it for you.

Soon as everything comes in; I'll let you know. This yeast came with two kits I bought. I guess you could say this is me stepping outside of the kits.

Wish I had one of you cool all grainers near by to show me how it's done.

Thanks Yoop! Sounds like this is a purdy good yeast for my style likings!

Soon as everything comes in; I'll let you know. This yeast came with two kits I bought. I guess you could say this is me stepping outside of the kits.

Wish I had one of you cool all grainers near by to show me how it's done.

"Near by" is relative. You can always drive 6 hours north, and I'll give you a one-on-one brewday with a batch of wort to take home. You could have a couple of beers, sleep, and head home the next morning! :D

I meant AA% when I said to post the exact number above, not IBU. Was in a hurry trying to leave work.

Same goes if you ever come to California. You can drink as much as you like off my kegerator and crash on the couch. We can do all grain or extract, whatever you like. A little harder to take home the wort though. It's real nice to have a thread with someone who's actually appreciative. Seriously! Cheers!

Let me know when you're coming. Bob will cook. :mug:

Maybe this summer, me and the wife will have to make a road trip. She's supportive of this new hobby I picked up, though she doesn't really drink beer. But, she thinks it's cool as hell; and enjoys helping do things on a brew day.

I meant AA% when I said to post the exact number above, not IBU. Was in a hurry trying to leave work.

Same goes if you ever come to California. You can drink as much as you like off my kegerator and crash on the couch. We can do all grain or extract, whatever you like. A little harder to take home the wort though. It's real nice to have a thread with someone who's actually appreciative. Seriously! Cheers!

I knew what you meant.

Never been to Cali, but that would be cool. This batch will be my 5th, the 2nd was the cream stout I didn't like, but a few freinds loved it. I guess my hopes were to high thinking it was going to turn out like a Left Hand.

I've been doing a lot of reading on all grain and I think I wouldn't have a issue with it. But it's still the "unknown" if you know what I mean. I work on diesels for a living and help the younger guys in my shop that aren't to familiar with things. So that's the way I look at it. Let the cool more knowledgeable help and show.

Latest posts

Back