Need a fruity English Pale ale or bitters recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger76s

Reaction score
I had an english pale/bitter that was balanced but came across as fruity. I am not sure if that was coming from the hops or yeast.
I think the beer was Helltown Purgatory - English-Style Summer Ale.
I am looking for a beer that is around 4% ABV with a fruity aroma that is somewhere in the 25 IBU range.

Does anyone have a recipe recommendation that fits this description?

It's definately coming from the yeast, most english yeast strains will produce very pleasant fruity notes when fermented in the upper temperature range. I've only used S-04 so I can't recommend a particular strain but I very good results with my ESB.

My latest ESB recipe was something like this (don't have the exact recipe in front of me, might be wrong on the quantities):
8# Maris Otter
1/2# Carastan 30/37 (UK)
1/2# Dark crystal 80 (UK)
1.5oz fuggles 60min
0.5oz EKG 15min
0.5oz EKG flameout
1 pk S-04 started at 66-67° but I let it raise up to 72-73°

Edit: I don't know the beer you're talking about, the recipe I posted may not be very similar to it. Mine had an ABV between 5-5.5 IIRC

I agree that the fruity notes in English beers mostly come from the yeast. Though you may get some raisiny figgy notes from darker crystal malts. My favorite English yeast is Wyeast 1318. Nice fruity notes with a bit of nuttiness. I just brewed this bitter and it turned out really well (it's a 2.5 gallon recipe):

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Standard/Ordinary Bitter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.025
Efficiency: 75% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 3.72%
IBU (rager): 33.12
SRM (morey): 14.82

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (83.8%)
0.33 lb - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (9.2%)
0.25 lb - United Kingdom - Extra Dark Crystal 160L (7%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.47, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 29.87
0.25 oz - Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.47, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 3.25
0.25 oz - Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.47, Use: Boil for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 156 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 5.5 qt
2) Sparge, Temp: 185 F, Amount: 12 qt
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.25 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
1.5 g - Baking soda, Type: Water Agt, Use: Other
3 g - Gypsum, Type: Water Agt, Use: Other
2 g - Calcium chloride, Type: Water Agt, Use: Other

YEAST:
Wyeast - London Ale III 1318
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 73%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 64 - 74 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F

This recipe has been published online at:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/215395/english-bitter-1318-starter-

@masscarriers
Thanks for the response. That recipe is pretty close to what I have been brewing including the yeast and the fem temp.

@peterj How would you compare Wyeast 1318 to S04?

I haven't used S-04 in years so I can't really remember much of what it was like. I remember that I wasn't a huge fan of it though (which is why I stopped using it). From what I can remember I feel like it was cleaner than 1318. I don't really remember S-04 having much of a distinct English-y character. But again, I didn't really use it very much and it was years ago when I did. Sorry I can't be more help!

I generally use Wyeast 1968 for my ales. It attenuates somewhat less than others and so is slightly sweeter.

https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=22

You may wish to use the following charts to begin a comparison with other strains:

http://www.brew365.com/yeast_english_ale_strain_comparison.php

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0093/2142/files/Yeast_Substitutions.pdf

Edit: you may also want to start fermenting in the mid-range to high-range of the yeast's temperature range to produce a more "fruity" result.

This is the Standard/Ordinary Bitter I'll be brewing this weekend. It's basically the ordinary bitter recipe from the "Pale Ale" book, changed to include the yeast and hops I have on hand.

OG 1.037
FG 1.010
IBU 33
SRM 9
Batch size 5 gal
Efficiency 78%
Calcium 50-100, sulfite 100-200, chloride 20
Mash 152F-154F, ferment 68F

5 lbs 10 oz Maris Otter
6 oz British Extra Dark Crystal 140L
4 oz White wheat malt
1.1 oz EKG at 60 min - 33 IBUs
0.5 oz EKG at 0 min
WLP 002

I don't have any experience with 1318 (yet). Brewing with it this weekend actually. It is supposed to be the Boddington's strain which does have a fruit note to it on tap, so I would think that would be a great choice.

Another yeast to consider might be Yorkshire Square 1469 which is noted as having "stone-fruit" in the notes.

I've done several brews with S-04 though, and it does not have a fruit note to it from my several experiences with it (I ferment in primary around 68F). I would say it has a "bready" yeast quality to it if anything. Not what I would consider an ideal english yeast (IMO). Might be good for a stout or porter perhaps..

I don't have any experience with 1318 (yet). Brewing with it this weekend actually. It is supposed to be the Boddington's strain which does have a fruit note to it on tap, so I would think that would be a great choice.

Another yeast to consider might be Yorkshire Square 1469 which is noted as having "stone-fruit" in the notes.

I've done several brews with S-04 though, and it does not have a fruit note to it from my several experiences with it (I ferment in primary around 68F). I would say it has a "bready" yeast quality to it if anything. Not what I would consider an ideal english yeast (IMO). Might be good for a stout or porter perhaps..

I use 1469 as my English yeast. Brewed Yoeman Special Bitter from the recipe forum here on HBT. Fermented in the 68 degree area. Very fruity.

I did two small batch (1 gallon) brew sessions with 1318 this weekend (finally). Very similar recipes. Only difference was the crystal malts used. I'm already seeing activity after 3 hours. I don't have that much experience with Wyeast, but the smack-packs seem to get to work much quicker than White-Labs which have taken 24 hours+ to kick in. Don't know if that's the type of the yeast or just one of the benefits of the "smack-pack" Pretty happy with them though. I don't use a starter on such small batches, and I'm probably over-pitching as is!

I'm going to do one last brew session in the English bitter camp before I switch out to a different style for a spell and 1469 will be on the plate. :)

I just made a bitter with tettnanger hops and wyeast 1187. It was fruity and delicious fermented at 74 degrees

Use some invert sugar, an estery yeast and dry hop. A dry hop with 1oz EKG and 1/2oz Citra or Galaxy will do for fruit.

Latest posts

Back