Need a Flying Dog clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rizman460

Reaction score
I am looking to clone the flying dog pale ale and if anyone has the recipe that would be fantastic. The brewer put this on their web site.:rockin:

ABV: 5.5%
Plato: 13
IBU's: 35
Specialty Malts: 120L Crystal Malt
Hops: Northern Brewer, Cascade

Process: Dry hopped during
fermentation with ****
loads of Cascade hops

If you go to the website they have an alphabetical A-Z listing of clone recipes. Pretty much any commercial beer you could think of. Many have comments from people who previously brewed them and would like to share their results. I have never been disappointed with any of their recipes. Here are all the flying dog clones.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=flying+dog

Browse around the A-Z Listings too for any other beers you enjoy:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_452_43

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info.

I am surprised to see they offer "base grain" even with the extract options. How are those base grains used? just stepped as the specialty grain (which I guess is the American crystal 120L) or would they need to be mashed-stepped? If they need to be mashed-stepped, is it really an extract recipe? :)

What grains can they use?

Thanks.

Thanks for the info.

I am surprised to see they offer "base grain" even with the extract options. How are those base grains used? just stepped as the specialty grain (which I guess is the American crystal 120L) or would they need to be mashed-stepped? If they need to be mashed-stepped, is it really an extract recipe? :)

What grains can they use?

Thanks.
I order from AHS, there is really no mashing involved(partial mash? semantics?). Just steep in the bag they send it in.

I've never ordered that clone, but usually they just put specialty grains in the bag(so just the crystal) and the rest is LME. If you choose the mini-mash option I think it comes with all of the grains, but I believe you have to purchase your own bag(though I've never ordered a mini-mash since Im pretty new to brewing).

Is the correct kit "AHS Orange IPA (14B) - All Grain"?

The links dont take me to the exact recipe listing.

Thanks!

Having never tried the Flying Dog you are trying to replicate, I think this is what you are looking for.

https://austinhomebrew.com/products...-pale-ale-10a-extract-homebrew-ingredient-kit
This is the Extract version where you steep the 120l per instructions, then add the LME I believe. It has been a while since I did an Extract recipe, so just use the instructions and go for it.

They have another called Double Dog, so I am not sure which is the right one. Either way, extract versions, if I remember right, you steep the specialty grains and then add the LME or DME and bring to a boil. Be careful of boil over, that happened to me on my first extract brew. It was not a happy day when my wife found out. LOL.

Latest posts

Back