NE style juicy IPA concept

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting at the repeated comments of 2:1'ish Cl to SO4 ratio. Most of the other NE IPA threads I started reading, including the clone for Heady Topper, say opposite. I even got an email from John Kimmich advising to harden with CaSO4 (gypsum) because that's what he does and to get the sulfate way up high, over 250ppm. Hmm....

Heady is a great beer I wouldn't categorize it as a "HAZY IPA" per say. Its more of a west coast style IPA. Dry, bitter, and aromatic. Kimmich has some videos on their youtube channel were he says he likes his IPA's to taste blockey from all the minerals. I have no doubt his sulfate levels far exceed 250 ppm.

Yes. HT is not similar to a New England Pale or IPA. It does have a butt ton of flavor, but it is much too bitter to be considered one of that style. Honestly, the water profile isn't going to make or break these beers. Between what's going on with yeast, hop bill, and process, you're looking at a much more minor adjustment

Back