NB Big Honkin Stout... Expected FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKennett

Reaction score
Anybody have any ideas on what I should expect for a final gravity on a Northern Brewer Big Honkin Stout Kit? This is my second venture into homebrew :ban:

I started at 1.068, primary for 10 days, it's been in secondary for almost 2 weeks. After primary I got hydrometer readings of 1.023-1.024 and a hydrometer reading today got me 1.020. The beer tastes nice, maybe just a bit sweet. It's going to be kegged so I'm not worried about bottle bombs. Should I be shooting for a bit lower FG?

What yeast did you use? If you know the attenuation of the yeast you can calculate your target final gravity. If it is S-05, 75-80% is a decent target so you should get to around 1.014-1.017 but you may have maxed out already since you moved it off the original yeast cake. I'd probably leave it another week and then keg.

I used Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast and I made a starter to pitch. I wouldn't call the initial fermentation "vigorous" per se but I did have a good layer of foam.

I'm planning on leaving it in the secondary until around the end of the month and then rack to keg and throw it in the keezer for about 2 weeks on gas.

Well, according to Wyeast, that strain has a 67-71% attenuation, so you are done. I would throw it in the keg after this week.

I used the S-05. I just transferred this beer to secondary. FG was 1.015 after 2.5 weeks, still bubbling about once per minute. I still think it tastes a bit sweet though. Fermented at approx 72, which I know is just about the upper limit, but I have no way of getting it cooler at the moment. I plan to let it sit in secondary for 4ish weeks then keg it.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I brewed this with a full wort boil. Also OG was 1.064 with 5.25 gal going into primary.

I believe ours was 1.018. Bottled it at 7 weeks, I think that whole time was in primary but don't remember. Mouthfeel is a little thin but is a tastey beer; best comparison I've heard was to Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout

I just brewed the all-grain version of this kit. OG was 1.070 (target 1.068) and FG settled at 1.014 after 9 days in the primary. I racked it to secondary and will probably going to let it age for a few weeks before I keg it.

ABV is supposed to be 7.3%. Can't wait to try this beer!

Back