NB American Wheat extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrew77

Reaction score
Ok, I just brewed the NB American Wheat extract kit. On day nine the hydrometer read 1.010. I figured that was as low as it was going to get so I filtered it and kegged it. My question is has anyone else brewed this? It seems a little harsh on the flavor and kind of darker than I thought. Anyone else have this experience? Maybe it is me, I figured it would be hefenweizen like.

I brewed it about 3 weeks ago, but haven't moved it out of the primary yet. if its dark and harsh, i would suspect you scorched your extract. how did the bottom of your kettle look after the boil?

My NB American Wheat has been in the primary for 12 days, it's probably done. I just took a hydro sample it's at 1.010, color is straw, taste is flat wheat, duh! No off flavors.
This brew I experimented. I did 2 lbs of LME, and 3/4oz of Willamette @60 min, 1/4 oz Willamette & 1oz Cascade @ 15 min, & the remaining 4 lbs of LME at flame out. Not a liquid yeast fan, I used one packet of Safale-US05. I think it is going to be nice, not stellar, it's a $20 kit after all!
This weekend I'm doing a Rogue Brutal IPA, will follow the directions I think, $43 kit, + 2 $3 Safbrew T-58 yeast packs (a departure from the recommended Wyeast Rouge Pacman the LHBS didn't have. But hey, I'm Rogue:)

Ok, I just brewed the NB American Wheat extract kit. On day nine the hydrometer read 1.010. I figured that was as low as it was going to get so I filtered it and kegged it. My question is has anyone else brewed this? It seems a little harsh on the flavor and kind of darker than I thought. Anyone else have this experience? Maybe it is me, I figured it would be hefenweizen like.

Its not just you, I found the same thing with this kit.

Back