Naturally carbonating keg with CBC-1, how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxstar21

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am leaving next month for a 6 week "vacation" at Fort Leonard Wood and have a saison that will be ready to keg right before I go. I want to try naturally carbonating in a corny with some corn sugar boiled in water and add by adding some CBC-1. However, I have no idea how much yeast to add. I would assume it's not the full pack, but I have been wrong before.

I usually force carbonate, just wanting to try something new to see if I notice a difference.

Thanks.

From the Danstar CBC-1 web page:

Brewing Properties:

• CBC-1 is best used for refermentation purposes conducted preferably with priming sugars such as dextrose.
• CBC-1 is a fast starter and robust strain which can be used to ferment/referment beers up to 12% ABV.
• Fermentation can be completed in 3 days at 20°C with an inoculation rate of 50-100g per bbl of beer (5-10 million cells per ml). CBC-1 leaves some residual sweetness in the beer since it does not use maltotriose.
• Refermentation (100%) can be completed within 14 days at 15-25°C with an inoculation rate of 10g of yeast per hl of beer (1-2 million cells per ml).

Using the first guideline, between 8 and 16 grams for a ~5 gallon conditioning pitch, run at 20°C/68°F.

Otoh, the second guideline uses hectoliters (1 hl = 26.4172 US gallons = 10 grams) so a couple of grams is supposedly plenty for five gallons if you have the time...which you actually do :)

Cheers! (and thank you for your service!)

From the Danstar CBC-1 web page:

Brewing Properties:

• CBC-1 is best used for refermentation purposes conducted preferably with priming sugars such as dextrose.
• CBC-1 is a fast starter and robust strain which can be used to ferment/referment beers up to 12% ABV.
• Fermentation can be completed in 3 days at 20°C with an inoculation rate of 50-100g per bbl of beer (5-10 million cells per ml). CBC-1 leaves some residual sweetness in the beer since it does not use maltotriose.
• Refermentation (100%) can be completed within 14 days at 15-25°C with an inoculation rate of 10g of yeast per hl of beer (1-2 million cells per ml).

Using the first guideline, between 8 and 16 grams for a ~5 gallon conditioning pitch, run at 20°C/68°F.

Otoh, the second guideline uses hectoliters (1 hl = 26.4172 US gallons = 10 grams) so a couple of grams is supposedly plenty for five gallons if you have the time...which you actually do :)

Cheers! (and thank you for your service!)

Thank you very much for your support and the response. I looked it up on their website, but I must have overlooked the dosing ratios you posted.

Thank you very much!!!!

Back