Naturally carbonating a keg with sugar from the grainbill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i'm trying to keep as much oxygen out of my beer as possible and was wondering if I got a recipe that asks for some dextrose/sugar in it to dry the beer out and up a bit of alcohol could I just simply take some of that sugar from the kettle addition and save it later to put it in my serving keg for naturally carbonating it?

How important would it be to time the transfer?
Would the yeast be not active enough after a certain period?

Thanks!

Unless you mechanically filter, you’ll have enough yeast to carbonate. Of course you’d want the keg to be at room temperature during that process. Just treat it like you were bottling, and wait for a stable FG before transferring to the keg.

1 cup (or 6 oz) of sugar will not dry the beer out or up the alcohol to any perceivable level.

As for taking some sugar from the kettle...that's Speise (German for "food"). It works just like the priming sugar addition.

Yes, there will be more than enough yeast left in the beer to work.

FWIW, when carbonating in a keg you need to monitor the pressure. For this you would need a Spunding valve to release excess pressure.

Spunding is a simple way to reduce DO. Best way is to transfer into keg when you are a few points short of FG. A spunding valve is cheap.

Back