Natural Apple Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smadaus

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a cider naturally and was thinking about reusing that natural yeast for another beer. I am not sure what style I would use but wanted to see if anyone else has done this before or can tell me why this wouldn't work. Also suggestions on what style would work well. Thanks.

Main problem is that fruit yeasts tend to be geared up to simple sugars, and show poor attenuation when faced with the more complex sugars of malt.

It can work, but don't be surprised if it doesn't.

Yes, I have done this. I got lucky. The beer turned out very good. There's no telling what might happen, since wild yeast is pretty unpredictable. It might be great like mine was, and it might be terrible. Odds are better that it will turn out someplace in between! If you enjoy the taste of the cider then I imagine the odds are a bit better that it will work well in a beer.

As for style, anything goes, but personally I might aim more towards a wheat beer like a hefeweizen, or a Belgian style, like a lambic or Orval or something like that, guessing that it might be kind of funky and unusual compared to regular yeast. Keep in mind also that it might not have a very high alcohol tolerance. Wild yeasts can often peter out early compared to commercial strains, so don't aim for imperial strength but try to shoot for a reasonable OG <1.060 on your first try, and maybe mash for a longer time and/or add 10% simple sugars to maximize fermentability, just in case it's not happy fermenting maltose.

Good luck!!! Let us know how it turns out!!

So if it doesn't end up working or stalls in the middle or something like that I don't see why I couldn't pitch some fresh yeast, right? Also I was thinking maybe a berliner and hopefully the flavor would compliment it. Plus they are generally around 4% so hopefully the yeast would be able to handle it. What do you guys think?
Thanks.

Great idea, a Berliner should be really nice. It probably will not stall for such a low alcohol beer but you're correct, if it does you could always add more yeast. Good luck!

Back