nasty white stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misha

Reaction score
Got this white stuff developed quite buit ago, not sure exactly what its called, and from what I've read its hard to get rid, any ideas, links info? i filled mu demijohns almost till the end - to have better access to it - and thinking to take it out with some cloth, but it might be futile...the last pic is taken just after refilling, that's why its clinging onto walls, will wait until tomorrow, hope it would go up on the surface again

Attachments

• IMAG0435.jpg
    IMAG0435.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG0436.jpg
    IMAG0436.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMAG0437.jpg
    IMAG0437.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 89
Lacto infection, if I am not mistaken. It would be best to either bottle/keg if it's ready or move to a different sanitized carboy and Co2 purge. I have had that a few times, and if you are quick about getting the cider out you should be fine (that is, not soured).

The floating white stuff are pellicles, caused by bacteria or wild yeasts (infections) in your cider. They are a side effect of their presence. The pellicles themselves are harmless. But those 'bugs' are souring your cider.

If the cider is done, you can refrigerate them to slow down the progress, and drink ASAP. Filter or strain the pellicles out when pouring into a glass.

Lacto infection, if I am not mistaken. It would be best to either bottle/keg if it's ready or move to a different sanitized carboy and Co2 purge. I have had that a few times, and if you are quick about getting the cider out you should be fine (that is, not soured).
Lots of microbes form a pellicle, it doesn't indicate Lactobacillus specifically... In fact Lacto rarely (if ever) forms a pellicle.

Transferring to a different package won't remove any of the microbes and will introduce more oxygen. That's not a good way to deal with a pellicle.

Lactic acid bacteria make cider LESS sour. They convert malic acid into lactic acid, which decreases the sour taste. This is called malolactic fermentation (MLF) and is frequently used by winemakers and cider makers to reduce acidity.

For example, here's a mini pellicle on a cider I just bottled:
20190311_212127.jpg

It was a wild fermentation (unpasteurized juice, no sulfite added) to which I also added some WLP644 Sacc Trois, WY5526 Brett lambicus, a Lacto blend, and bottle dregs from a mixed fermentation sour (Deesko, which makes beer quite sour even with hops). It sat on the cake for 5 months.

It's not the least bit sour.

To prevent unwanted microbe activity, add an adequate amount of sulfite when fermentation finishes (usually when racking and minimizing headspace). Go ahead and add it now.
Protect from oxygen as much as possible during aging.
Refrigeration and drinking ASAP are unnecessary.
Sulfite should prevent the pellicle reforming, so you shouldn't have to strain it from bottles.

Cheers

Thanks a lot!! What about pouring into bottles and pasteurizing it? Would it kill those pellicle microbes? If I decide to use sulfites - could it change the flavor and such? Are those microbes occure only where they are visible to eye? If I would use a torch to burn it - would it be good idea?:>

Last edited:
You definitely could pasteurize or sterile filter. However it's not worth the effort in my opinion.

Sulfite at the correct amount does not impact flavor. On the contrary, it preserves flavor by inhibiting wild microbes and preventing oxidation. That's why it's pretty much ubiquitous in the commercial wine & cider industry.

Ideally you want 0.4-0.8 ppm molecular SO2 at the time of serving. The pH matters. If you can't measure pH, I'd suggest a half Campden tablet per US gallon if you bottle immediately; if aging longer, use a little more, up to one tab per US gal.
Sulfite calculator: http://fermcalc.com/FermCalcJS.html

Whatever wild microbes you have are everywhere throughout the cider; they're microscopic.
The pellicle is just a film they build to presumably keep out oxygen; it's helpful to us in that regard if you don't disturb it. That's why the one in my photo was pristine.
Definitely don't torch it!

Back