Nasty Black/Brown ring above Krausen....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR88

Reaction score
So still early on the Mandarin/Peach batch....end of day 8...I swear like overnight damn thing cleared a hell of a lot has taken on a lighter golden/copper hue to it...but is a nasty ring like that normal?....its smelling awful again too....Vomited Peach/sour/garbage is how I would describe it....thinking its infected...

Do you have a picture? How did you prepare the fruit? What yeast did you use?

Fruit was mashed up...went into primary for 5 days...got most of that out, so now still going and it seemed to have made this black ring damn near overnight haha, its combination of the dreaded wild Yeast and some dreaded Red Star Baker's yeast haha....I seriously cannot pickup the Mandarin's anymore...just like a damn really really pungent/foul Vomited Peach smell it is utterly gagging if you get close/whiff airlock haha, the bubbles/Krausen look fine in the middle just edge above the glass/krausen line that ring etc....it somehow cleared a lot/ turned a really nice golden yellow/copper color though that same night as the ring though...for sure turning into something, now what I don't know... might be the foulest effing infected thing ever haha, I almost want to dump it but I'm afraid to even open it, I swear I will Vomit haha

Mandarin_Peach.jpg
[/url]

Not best Pic I know...but that's some foul looking stuff haha

No Never really had any rotten/egg smells....mostly just a damn Vomited Peach character at first it was bad then went away then came back..It overpowered the damn Mandarins real fast...was equal amount mandarins/peach....I will say I'm gonna give up on peaches for awhile that's awful...

I dumped it....it was awful...definitely some Bacto/lacto infection or something....definitely was some fermentation/alcohol though, still can't believe went through that much damn sugar in that short period of time....really bad higher alcohols/fusel **** going on though....it was potent man some awful solvent/ turbo jet fuel haha

Try this again except this time more full Blown Mead/Honey...no wild ferment...no peaches...oranges/mandarins....its in primary see what happens lol

Back