Nastiest Infection Yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apendecto

Reaction score
I split a batch of a Zombie Dust clone into two fermenters and one of them turned out similar to this...

photo-41.jpg

Here are my crappy pictures of the actual beer.
1372721459894.jpg

1372721504807.jpg

This is the first time I've had something go south. From the threads around here, it won't kill me and I should taste it. I haven't done that yet. I've heard claims that it won't cause bottle bombs. HumanGarbage from this thread calls it pedio.

Any more info on it's effects or what may have caused it (more than just sanitize everything)?

Thanks!

Rack under it and drink it fast or leave it for a year and make it a sour

I don't think you can know what is causing a pellicle by it's appearance. How long has the pellicle been there? The gravity is on the high side and it's surprising it doesn't taste bad. It's a pretty sure bet it's not lacto because of the amount of hops. There are lots of yeasts and bacteria beyond lacto, pedio, and brett that cause pellicles. If you like the way it tastes, drink it asap if you can keg it. I'd be hesitant to bottle because they might continue to ferment and explode.

Hard to say, theoretically the plastic is vulnerable to scratches which can hide bugs forever, but I seem to recall BetterBottle saying they don't scratch easily. Rather than scrapping the bottle, maybe just fill it up with a bleach solution or some other sanitizer and let it sit for a couple hours, and hope the next batch turns out OK?

(Of course, re-occurring infections could be coming from other parts of the process, not just the bottle, but it never hurts to play around and try to be sure).

Definitely keg it- that way you can carb it cold. Cold will slow whatever's in there way down and give you a bit more time to drink it. Definitely don't bottle carb it. If it tastes good, keg it NOW- it may no taste so good tomorrow. I hesitated once on an APA and lost it.

Back