Naperville, Illinois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Joliet..I just tapped a Magnum/Simcoe ipa, I have a Belgian Dubbel that will be ready next week, and I just brewed a nut brown ale today. Next two brew days will be another ipa and an orange/coriander pale.

Very nice... I am relatively new to brewing. I brewed a nut brown ale for my first brew in August, and just brewed an amber ale and EdWorts Apfelwein that are both fermenting right now. Are you brewing all grain or extract? Kegging or bottling? I am interested in getting into both grain and kegging. Any suggestions?

I have only been brewing a little over a year and a half. I started with all-grain and began kegging after just a few batches. I started brewing with a couple of friends but, after six months of that, I bought all of my own equipment with my tax return. I enjoy the control have doing it alone but, I would have never felt so confident of all of it without those first few months of learning together with other friends. Every brew day is still getting smoother.

any suggestions on a good recipe for an all extract IPA? That is the next beer that I would like to brew.

Thanks,

I have never brewed any extract brews. I really couldn't push you in the right direction on that one. Sorry...good luck in all that you brew!

any suggestions on a good recipe for an all extract IPA? That is the next beer that I would like to brew.

Thanks,

Hey Burton, fellow Napervillian here - NW corner, near 59/Diehl. I just brewed a Bell's Two Hearted IPA clone but it was an all grain recipe. There are some extract recipes floating around that are very good.

Here's what I scratched together for that:

7lb DME (light or extra light)
1/2 lb. - Caramel/Crystal Malt (15L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (15 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (1 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

For a three gallon boil, use 1/2 the extract at the beginning, and the other 1/2 at the end of the boil.

R2-D2,

Thank you very much... I am going to give this recipe a try. I did pull one recipe that looks pretty good from the recipes section on this site called 60 Minute IPA. I have a Coops Amber Ale Kit from Two Brothers and EdWorts Afelwein fermenting right now, so as soon as I bottle the Amber Ale I think I will give your recipe a try!

I am located on the NE corner of River and Aurora... May the force be with you!

Cheers,

Burton Brews :mug:

R2-D2,

Thank you very much... I am going to give this recipe a try. I did pull one recipe that looks pretty good from the recipes section on this site called 60 Minute IPA. I have a Coops Amber Ale Kit from Two Brothers and EdWorts Afelwein fermenting right now, so as soon as I bottle the Amber Ale I think I will give your recipe a try!

I am located on the NE corner of River and Aurora... May the force be with you!

Cheers,

Burton Brews :mug:

That 60 Minute recipe is probably a take on Dogfish Head's 60 Minute IPA.

If you make it toward Plainfield, give Chicago Brew Werks a drop in (http://chicagobrewwerks.com/). It's located behind the Binny's off of 59. Also, there is a seriously large group of western suburb homebrewers that meet the first Thursday evening at Limestone Brewery (which is next to CBW and Binny's). There is no cost to join or attend a PALE meeting (http://palebrewers.org/). We have an incredible group with wide spectrums of knowledge and interests, it's very all inclusive. Check it out sometime.

Plainfield here. Been brewing extract for over two years. Just heard about chicagobrewwerks. Probably check it out this week. Usually shop online or brew and grow in Bolingbrook. Currently have bottled a Czech pils, oak aged English bitter, black ipa and a Hefeweizen. I have an all nugget ipa fermenting with homegrown hops.

I shop at Brew and Grow in Bolingbrook, also. They have a very knowledgeable staff. I have never had a bad experience there.

tried to go to Chicago Brewwerks yesterday, and it was closed until Monday Feb 6th... Bummer! I will try to go back there sometime soon! I did however stop in at the Limestone Brewery and tried their India Dark Ale. Very tasty!

tried to go to Chicago Brewwerks yesterday, and it was closed until Monday Feb 6th... Bummer! I will try to go back there sometime soon! I did however stop in at the Limestone Brewery and tried their India Dark Ale. Very tasty!

Send him an email if you want to stop by outside of his normal hours. He will try to accommodate a visit.

Latest posts

Back