nano/brewpub in small town Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
I live in a small town in Texas with a population of 5,100... but including the small communities within a 5 mile radius of city limits it's estimated at over 25,000. We also have a lot of thru traffic from two bigger cities of over 80,000+ each.

As some of you may know, Texas is one of the states with lots of "dry" counties. Well, two years ago we voted wet. Also voted in on-premises consumption inside city limits. We have 4 restaurants serving beer and liquor now, and lots of construction of new businesses.

I've approached the Chamber of Commerce and the TABC about a brewery/brewpub... they not only gave me the green light, they are excited about it. Also talked to a few local prominent figureheads and they like the idea too.
I'm now scouting locations, as I cannot complete my permits til I have a location and signs posted for at least 60 days. Damn TABC rules.

We plan on a 1BBL electric brew system, and starting with 3 everyday regular beers, and 1-2 seasonal. Selling food and merchandise. Games for kids (we want family friendly) and maybe a band on the weekend.

Anyways, I'm just curious to hear anyone's similar stories and/or advice.

lol sry so long, thx! :mug:

Where in Texas if you don't mind my asking?

Being from Texas my concern for you would be customers. When you say small town, my experience around here is that they are very loyal to their chosen flavor of BMC. This is purely anecdotal and I have NO experience in the business, just thinking out loud. Of course, I wish you the very best of luck!

I'm wanting to do the same thing in Waco

I'd love to talk with you about the process

Wish you the best of luck, ApolloSpeed and when you get up and running, Please let us know. If I'm ever in the area, I'd stop by for a pint or three. My travels usually take me around DFW, Goliad and Corpus so maybe you will be near one of them.

Same to you @jalc6927 We stop down Waco a few times and year and sometimes hit up a game. Sic 'em Bears!!

Would also be interested in supporting the small town vibe. I am around the North Houston area...but get around the Texas triangle quite a bit.

We've spent the last 8 winters in the Rockport area, but this year Hurricane Harvey changed our plans as our rental house was a total loss. So this year we'll be in two other small-ish towns. I like that there are new breweries opening up in Corpus and I love going to Goliad, so I think there may be a market for up and coming brewpubs- as long as the beer is good. I've had a LOT of bad beer in Corpus Christi!

Probably want to go bigger unless you want to be brewing all the time.

1bbl is pretty small and the cost to double that would not add much, but it could cut your labor by 1/3 or more by not brewing daily... think about the keg or tank storage for brewing once a day... with beers needing 2+ weeks to ferment... compared to half the number of tanks and brewing less...

1 barrel is about 300 12oz servings... a good friday night and you may be out of beer!

Back