Naming A Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't usually name my beers unless something really comes to mind.
My spring brew of the house ale I call B^3 (B cubed) because it ends up being for the party for my kid's birthday, his name starts with B, Birthday Brew. any other time I brew it, it's either just house ale, or Newest Albion, since the basic recipe came from a clone of the New Albion that Sam Adams did a ways back.
The other name that sticks is my Evil Empire Imperial Oatmeal Stout. (EEIOS) The recipe for that came from an article in BYO magazine a ways back with the Budweiser test kitchen. I do use my usual stout yeast instead of the lager yeast it called for in the article, but the grain bill and such is the same.
I do call the brewery, Hop Brook Brewing, after a stream that goes by a few hundred yards from my front door. This section was renamed after the landowner about 150 years ago, but before that it was called Hop Brook, and other sections are still called that. I figured that was a perfect name for a brewery.

I've only named one because the idea was glaringly obvious; otherwise, my recipes are just referred to by style and maybe a number, letter or date made.
I made an all-Columbus hop IPA once and I called it "Buckeye PA," of course.

I've enjoyed naming and designing labels for my brews almost as much as drinking them. Almost. The names revolve around a play on the style ("Ticket to Rye'd", a rye IPA; "Cidewayz, a basic cider), a historical event ("95 Theses", a marzen commemorating Luthers nailing said theses to the church door in Wittenburg in 1517; "The Kirk", a scotch ale in honor of John Knox who led the protestant reformation in Scotland), or pop-culture ("The Return of Ian Rubbish", an ESB whose name is ripped from a SNL skit; "Goodnight, John Boy" a 9% barleywine that makes you feel warm, cozy, and needing a nap, with the name taken from the ending of The Waltons. My absolute favorite though, like some above, came from a conversation with a friend. I had made a basic american lite, lawnmower beer and when giving the description I spouted off that it "goes great with NASCAR, Skoal, and your favorite fishing hole. Perfect for BBQ's or keg stands. Purchase a case and get a free gun rack for your truck"... and without missing a beat, he added in "mullet not included". The name has stuck ever since.

I've enjoyed naming and designing labels for my brews almost as much as drinking them. Almost. The names revolve around a play on the style ("Ticket to Rye'd", a rye IPA; "Cidewayz, a basic cider), a historical event ("95 Theses", a marzen commemorating Luthers nailing said theses to the church door in Wittenburg in 1517; "The Kirk", a scotch ale in honor of John Knox who led the protestant reformation in Scotland), or pop-culture ("The Return of Ian Rubbish", an ESB whose name is ripped from a SNL skit; "Goodnight, John Boy" a 9% barleywine that makes you feel warm, cozy, and needing a nap, with the name taken from the ending of The Waltons. My absolute favorite though, like some above, came from a conversation with a friend. I had made a basic american lite, lawnmower beer and when giving the description I spouted off that it "goes great with NASCAR, Skoal, and your favorite fishing hole. Perfect for BBQ's or keg stands. Purchase a case and get a free gun rack for your truck"... and without missing a beat, he added in "mullet not included". The name has stuck ever since.
I do a Martin Luther tribute Einbecker. Thought about calling it "The Sacking of Rome", but thought that might be too provocative.

I usually name all my beers because I share them and need a way for people (including non-beer-saavy people) to refer to them.

I keep a running list of potential beer names on my phone as they occur to me (currently over 300), and then just pick ones when the beers are ready.

I used to go with mostly jokes, puns, twists of phrase or just words out of context, but recently started brewing in a psuedo-partigyle style so now I give the "sister beers" complimentary names so I remember which beers were brewed together (Buy The Ticket/Take The Ride; Shine On/Crazy Diamond; Last Dace/Under Pressure, etc).

Since I seem to be the gathering point for several of my fellow workers, most of my beers get names. Some are named by the drinkers of the beers, In Your Face IPA. Some named after the hops/hop that is in them, Galaxy. If its a clone something to do with the original name. Some times something to do with the process, I make snow beer every year last one was Nanooks Warning, a Helles. Last option is just after the style of the beer Irish Red, Blonde.

I've named a few, but I typically don't. Commercial beers are only named out of necessity/to market them.
I usually just write the style and sometimes include a hop variety in the beer if it's an IPA

So, essentially, I name and label my recipes to amuse myself, and if anyone else cares, or not, I’m not losing any sleep. :cool:

Me too.
I name every beer, and design a label for each one. It amuses me, and gives an identity to each brew, that helps my aged addled brain keep them straight.

Currently in the beer fridge are :
Graftastic (graff)
B.O.P (bourbon oaked porter)
Edward's Cream Ale,
Glass Gem Cream Ale (named for the heritage corn variety used)
Sloppy Seconds (made from leftover wort, from several recent brews)
Eagle Creek P.A. (local landmark)

My avatar is my current brewery name, and I have stickers made to give to guests who visit.

Back