Nalgene vs Soda Bottles for Bottle Conditioning & Camping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexdagrate

Reaction score
I'd like to bring bottle-conditioned homebrew on some camping and backpacking trips, and wanted to explore using either nalgene bottles or soda bottles.

I searched the forum and found this quote about Nalgene bottles:

I've got a buddy who bottle-conditions in plastic Nalgene bottles (BPA-free of course).

And there are several threads about people re-using 1L and 2L soda bottles.

Couple of questions:

1) If I use a Nalgene bottle, which color do you think would be best to prevent light spoilage? They come in so many shades now.

2) Which makes more sense to use, nalgene or soda bottles? I imagine nalgenes are more "re-usable," but soda bottles are obviously lighter. Does either one hold carbonation better or have any other advantages? Is a green soda bottle better at preventing light spoilage than a clear bottle?

Thanks - Alex

+1 for soda bottles since they're designed to hold pressure.

If you must use a Nalgene (kind of a fun idea, actually), I would test it first for pressure. Maybe a bit extra sugar (to err on too much pressure end) and put inside a plastic bag inside a box. Give it a month or so at warmish temps, see what happens.

EDIT: And yes, a green bottle is better than clear, and brown is even better still.

Latest posts

Back