MYPIN TA4-SNR Help needed - Temp display wrong and goes down when heat applied

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweed

Reaction score
I have built a RIMS 120v single element Temp controller using:

TA4-SNR - PID
Ruike Electronics Industrial Ltd. SSR-60DA - SSR Same as Fotek
K type thermocouple - tried 2 different and getting same issue

I have wired the system and all seems to work correctly except the PV or measured temp is showing like 215 degrees at room temp. When heat is applied to thermocouple, the temp reading goes down.

What I have tried:
inverting +/- TC wires on PID - did this with 2 different TC
Checking all PID settings to assure correct input selected and looking at all factory settings.
Searched for hours solutions on net, found nothing with my same issue.
Watched some youtube video's on setting up this PID.
Went thoroughly though Homebrewtalk forum looking for solutions.

Any Advise for my issue?

sorry I cant really help except to say I do know the mypin ta4 works fine with j type thermocouples as well as RTD sensors... also if it goes the wrong way its noramlly wired backwards. (at least it was with my j type setup)

I believe the wiring connections have to be soldered and possibly tuned /adjusted for cable length but I'm not sure... Honestly I have always made it a point to stick with pt100 rtds because this stuff doesnt matter with them. (besides a jtype sensor that was built into an element I tried in my rims once.

Did you extend the thermocouple wires at all? If so you can only use k type thermocouple wire to do so. Using regular copper wire to extend a thermocouple will give errors like you are seeing.

When both ends of the thermocouple are the same temp it produces no voltage so you should read room temp regardless of the thermocouple being plugged in backwards. When the measuring end is hotter than the end that plugs into the PID then it produces a tiny positive voltage. When it's colder it produces a tiny negative voltage. This is why reversing them will cause the temp on the display to go down instead of up.

My guess is that either you extended the wire with copper or you don't have the PID set to a K type input

Did you extend the thermocouple wires at all? If so you can only use k type thermocouple wire to do so. Using regular copper wire to extend a thermocouple will give errors like you are seeing.

When both ends of the thermocouple are the same temp it produces no voltage so you should read room temp regardless of the thermocouple being plugged in backwards. When the measuring end is hotter than the end that plugs into the PID then it produces a tiny positive voltage. When it's colder it produces a tiny negative voltage. This is why reversing them will cause the temp on the display to go down instead of up.

My guess is that either you extended the wire with copper or you don't have the PID set to a K type input

No I did not extend thermocoupler wires. I have it set up to correct type K. I have tried 2 different sensors, and wired them both possible ways for each. I know the thermocouplers work because I used it for another temp controller. I'm guessing I may have a bad PID.

No I did not extend thermocoupler wires. I have it set up to correct type K. I have tried 2 different sensors, and wired them both possible ways for each. I know the thermocouplers work because I used it for another temp controller. I'm guessing I may have a bad PID.
Seems you have ruled everything else out so it looks that way.

Back