Mylar balloon and CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerd

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all -

For those I've seen using mylar party balloons for the cold crash method - have you ever taken a whiff of what comes out of the balloon?

These are not food grade, designed to hold helium (a non-reactive gas) not pure CO2 , and they have a mechanism in them designed to stop gas from escaping (which you need to remove to use them for this purpose) - so I was wondering about this particular MacGuyver.

I filled up regular standard silver mylar party balloon I had around (new, in original package) with CO2 from my tank and I took a whiff. It was a strong, very strong, burning sensation in my nose and through my sinuses. I'm not planning to quaff it again, but it sort of reminded me of the odor from drying silicon caulk, but was so overpowering I can't really be sure.

I took a sniffer straight from the CO2 tank and sure enough no odor or burn. I just have a stainless pickup that goes straight into the balloon. So, whatever it is is coming from the balloons. I did a quick test with another one, inflated just by blowing into it and it does have an odor, though not as overpowering.

So, my working theory is that the CO2 is reacting with the internal lining or adhesive that holds the two sides of the balloon together?

I have no idea what that smell is, even is is just acetic acid, it was pretty potent and I'm not sure I want that infusing into my beer.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
When I put my head too far down into the ferm chamber that has been filled with CO2 from active fermentation, it almost knocks me out. My assumption is that's what pure CO2 "smells" like although my thought is trying to breath anything in that is 0% oxygen will do that. I don't know. Not sure how you smelled CO2 coming out of the tank unless you were getting a lot more oxygen with it than you thought. Just my two cents, I am not an expert in the area.

That being said, I stopped trying the mylar balloon trick because I was still having oxygen issues. I don't cold crash anymore until it's in the keg and I can hook up the CO2 tank to deal with any pressure changes.

Lol. You're right, must have been getting more atmosphere when trying it from the tank than I thought. Tried that again and I see where the acrid part is coming from now. Had no idea pure CO2 was that potent. 🤦‍♂️ I've learned something (which I will probably forget due to the oxygen deprivation)

There is a bit of an odor from this balloon when using atmosphere though, so still not sure.

That said, I now suspect that the biggest danger I face here is SWMBO's reasonable reaction if she walks in and finds me sucking on my CO2 tank.

Last edited:
I got a nose full of CO2 once and it burns. Not sure if it smelled bad or not, but the sensation in my nose was very unpleasant. I'm on the fence on whether I should get a Cold Crash Guardian or cold crash in the keg. The only downside to cold crashing in the keg is the extra yeast at the bottom of the keg, instead of leaving it in the fermenter.

Was just thinking that - if I'm going to spend money, why not just get a floating dip tube and then at least not have to to fiddle with cold crash gadetry at all.

Do you have any issues with with the tubes? I've read reviews that make it sound like they sometimes float too high and suck air? Any extra work for cleaning, etc?

I've never had them suck air until it gets to half a pint or so left. Since I crash in the keg, that's all trub anyway. I take mine apart to clean but it's not really a hassle. I've had some foaming issues but I don't know yet if it was the dip tube. I just took apart my perlick faucets and cleaned them really well hoping that was the cause of the foaming.

Never tried it but I have heard using a urine catheter as a balloon is a good option for cold crashing because it is sterile (unlike Mylar balloons)

When I put my head too far down into the ferm chamber that has been filled with CO2 from active fermentation, it almost knocks me out. My assumption is that's what pure CO2 "smells" like although my thought is trying to breath anything in that is 0% oxygen will do that. I don't know. Not sure how you smelled CO2 coming out of the tank unless you were getting a lot more oxygen with it than you thought. Just my two cents, I am not an expert in the area.

Carbon dioxide dissolves in water and slowly reacts with water to produce carbonic acid.

CO2 (g) + H2O (l) <=> H2CO3 (aq)

This is why it burns when inhaled in high concentrations and why distilled water's PH is 5.8 rather than 7.0.

Carbon dioxide dissolves in water and slowly reacts with water to produce carbonic acid.

CO2 (g) + H2O (l) <=> H2CO3 (aq)

This is why it burns when inhaled in high concentrations and why distilled water's PH is 5.8 rather than 7.0.

Glad I continued reading instead of posting right away. I was going to say something similar, but less technical.

Latest posts

Back