My Wooden Jockey Box 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supergrump

Reaction score
4 years ago I built a wooden jockey box:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=428860
A friend from my homebrew club likes to point out that it's the #1 result when doing a Google image search for "wooden jockey box". Quite an achievement! I'm hoping to bump it to #2 with my new one:

jockey-box-drawer-68314.jpg

The previous one served it's purpose but it's a big big and heavy. The new one was intended to be a more manageable size, and to upgrade the old one in every way. My old box will be donated to my homebrew club.

It's made of cherry hardwood with maple trim. I also put decorative maple splines along the sides hoping it would provide some contrast but it doesn't show well in certain light.

This one also has a drip tray incorporated into a drawer:

jockey-box-front-2-68315.jpg

jockey-box-front-68316.jpg

jockey-box-tray-nogrill-68322.jpg

The drawer does not drain so I have to monitor it from time to time and dump it out if necessary. This only happens when people who don't know any better dump their beer into it after pouring a cup of foam. I put magnets on the side that stick to metal washers under the box. These serve as a stay to keep the drawer locked open or closed for transport.
I am not at all happy about the small gap between the drawer and the maple skirt on the right side when the drawer is closed. Oh well.

I chose chrome fittings for the entire box. I tried brass but it didn't look as nice.

jockey-box-side-68319.jpg

jockey-box-back-68317.jpg

jockey-box-back-nolines-68318.jpg

My previous box used a false back to hide the lines. I felt it really served no purpose since no one ever saw the box from the back, and it added unnecessary depth to the box. I also like how I can remove the lines from this one and insert plugs for easy transport or storage.

I got a couple of mild kinks in the lines but it doesnt seem to impede the flow. I used proper stainless coils this time (bought during a black friday sale, which was the inspiration to start this whole project). The box was built around the dimensions of the coils that I bought (10 inch diameter) in order to keep it as compact as possible.

jockey-box-coils-68320.jpg

The inside is lined with 1/2 inch pink styrofoam which is then fibreglassed for waterproofing. With 3/4 inch hardwood and 1/2 inch foam it should be well insulated.

I put some thought into how to label the beer that's being served. My previous box has a chalkboard glued to the front which isn't pictured in the linked post. It's awkward to write on, and I didnt want to obscure the wood finish on this one. The solution I came up with was to countersink magnets into the wood, just below the taps so it's somewhat discreet:

magnet-countersink-68324.jpg

magnet-68323.jpg

I can then attach half-round magnets to the outside to hold labels. An elegant solution if I'm allowed to pat myself on the back a bit.

jockey-box-labels-68325.jpg

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your interest. Happy brewing.

very nice looking jockey box! i love the counter sunk magnets, and the slide out drip tray!

Awesome woodworking skills... on a side note. I get how this cools the beer down. But how does it get carbed if the kegs are warm? I've never quite understood that part...
sorry for the stupid Q...

Awesome woodworking skills... on a side note. I get how this cools the beer down. But how does it get carbed if the kegs are warm? I've never quite understood that part...
sorry for the stupid Q...

Jockey boxes are used for serving already cool and carbonated kegs in temporary locations like a BBQ, event, etc.

The kegs would sit in a beverage bucket/trash barrel/etc on ice and feed into the jockey box.

Ok so the kegs are already carbed and cooled? that makes more sense... thank you.

The kegs are pre carbed and ideally pre chilled but it's not necessary. I've served from room temperature kegs before with no problems. 50 feet of coil submerged in ice is enough to chill the beer on its way out.

The kegs are pre carbed and ideally pre chilled but it's not necessary. I've served from room temperature kegs before with no problems. 50 feet of coil submerged in ice is enough to chill the beer on its way out.

thats what i was wondering, how do you carb the warm kegs? or are they already cooled carbed and warmed back up>?
does it create foaming issues this way?

thats what i was wondering, how do you carb the warm kegs? or are they already cooled carbed and warmed back up>?
does it create foaming issues this way?

The kegs have to be carbed properly which means they should be chilled during the carbonation process. I've let the kegs warm up to room temp with no issues. Sometimes it's unavoidable when setting up for a big event, or if you take it camping with you. I'm sure if the beer were served directly from a warm keg it would be foamy and under carbed but the jockey box seems to help the CO2 re absorb as it chills the beer on the way out. I've never had any issues serving from a warm keg.

So, to summarize...chill and carb the keg. Then hook up the cold keg to the jockey box or allow it to warm up and then serve via jockey box. It's all the same as long as the coils are long enough to chill the beer properly. 50 feet of SS coil is enough to chill anything.

Last edited:
Thank you, now i understand clearly. I see some JBs with SS plate thing... would that work better? Like a plate chiller in reverse i guess...

i guess that also means you need to bring a CO2 tank along as well...

I like the fancy removable beer line bulkheads. Are those just beer shanks? What parts do I need for such a thing? I'm tight on space for my cooler build, so i was thinking to just skip the bulkhead, but if I can find something short in length I love the remove and plug idea :)

I like the fancy removable beer line bulkheads. Are those just beer shanks? What parts do I need for such a thing? I'm tight on space for my cooler build, so i was thinking to just skip the bulkhead, but if I can find something short in length I love the remove and plug idea :)

It's a regular beer shank. I used a screw on barbed fitting that's meant for cleaning beer lines:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=beer+line+cleaner+attachment&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjryOGFnunVAhVDKGMKHTh4CsIQ_AUIEigC&biw=962&bih=601#imgrc=zyFOGRDEDjWeyM:

I believe it's a part of most jockey box conversion kits, although I bought them separately.

Latest posts

Back