My wife wants a Tripel :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbrain

Reaction score
Haha. I asked my wife if she'd like to try brewing with me and she agreed if we could brew a Belgian-style tripel. She's even named it Couple's Tripel and wants me to brew three beers for a end-of-summer tasting party even though I'm a noob.

Below is my KISS (keep it simple, stupid) recipe. I wrote the recipe for 5.5 gallons but scaled it to 3.5. I just figure it's less to bottle if I am doing 3 different beers. I have a 5 gallon cooler with the "matching" 5 gallon paint strainer bag so I'm not sure if I could mash a higher grain bill. Please advise on that point. All-grain would be awesome and a first for me. When I changed the extract and sugar to late addition in Brewtarget the IBU's went way up so let me know if you think I need more hops, since I reduced them in the recipe.

Couple's Tripel - Belgian Tripel
================================================================================
Batch Size: 3.500 gal
Boil Size: 3.500 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.088
FG: 1.020
ABV: 8.8%%
Bitterness: 38.5 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 4 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Briess DME - Pilsen Light Dry Extract 3.818 lb No Yes 95%% 2 L
Pilsner (2 Row) Bel Grain 3.182 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Sugar, Table (Sucrose) Sugar 1.273 lb No Yes 100%% 1 L
Total grain: 8.273 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Saaz (USA) 3.8%% 0.636 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 11.5
Saaz (USA) 3.8%% 0.955 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 22.5
Saaz (USA) 3.8%% 0.318 oz Boil 20.000 min Pellet 4.5

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
WLP500 - Trappist Ale Yeast Ale Liquid 2.367 tbsp Primary

I plan to mash around 149, and transfer to a secondary as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Your hop additions seem fine. You could even scale them back a bit and still be in style.

I suggest that you make a full 5.5 gallons though since this beer needs to age for so long. I would be heartbroken if I got to three months of aging, decided I really liked it and didn't have enough to last until I had time to brew again! My $0.02.

Good point. I'm going to get some Grolsch style bottles at my local HBS. Do you think the extract should be late addition? And how far back might you scale the the hops? Perhaps to around 34 IBUs? And why do late additions increase the IBUs if hops levels stayed the same as a regular 60 minute boil? just curious so I know my software is on the right track.

I appreciate the advice.

Not sure I understand....but moving hops from 60 minute additions to later would decrease IBU's but increase hop flavor.

Even late hop additions will raise IBUs a little when added to a recipe.

Awesome that your wife is so supportive!

Looks pretty good. The IBU's are a little high. Drop them down to get a BU:GU ratio of .37. Right now you are at .44. 33 IBU's will getbyou the right ratio.

Late addition of the extract will increase the IBU's so adjust accordingly. Pitch your yeast at the low end of the temp range and hold it ther for a couple of days and then slowly ramp it up to the higher end of the range. This helps the beer ferment out fully without getting any fusels. Give it plenty of time to finish.

Enjoy.

I love a good simple tripel.

+1 to controlling ferm temps. Remember, a Tripel gets most of its flavor from the yeasties so it is important to keep them happy around 65F for a few days. I've gotten great results with this method and then raising the temp to the mid 70s for a couple days to help it ferment out completely.

Per style, you're IBUs need to be between 20 and 35. I like my Tripel flavor to be more focused on the yeast so I aim for the lower end. But it's up to your taste. Man, you've got me craving some Golden Monkey!

Looks pretty good. The IBU's are a little high. Drop them down to get a BU:GU ratio of .37. Right now you are at .44. 33 IBU's will getbyou the right ratio.

Late addition of the extract will increase the IBU's so adjust accordingly. Pitch your yeast at the low end of the temp range and hold it ther for a couple of days and then slowly ramp it up to the higher end of the range. This helps the beer ferment out fully without getting any fusels. Give it plenty of time to finish.

Enjoy.

I love a good simple tripel.

Thanks. My original post is adjusted for late addition extract and start but I'll lower them more to bring down the ratio. I'll put the fermentor in a water bucket and add ice blocks for a couple days. My closet is the coolest location but it probably sits around 68 and I expect the heat to rise in North County.

So here's my changes. I figure my brewhouse efficiency is somewhere between 70-75% so I know that can make a difference. Too few brews to tell so far. I plan to use table sugar late and mash around 149 to keep it nice and dry..

Do you recommend transferring to secondary fermentor? I have a 6 gallon primary and recently got a 5 gallon secondary if need be. I plan on picking up 3 more 6.5 gallon buckets (le$$)

Couple's Tripel - Belgian Tripel
Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 4.070 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.088
FG: 1.020
ABV: 8.8%%
Bitterness: 32.0 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 4 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Briess DME - Pilsen Light Dry Extract 6.000 lb No Yes 95%% 2 L
Pilsner (2 Row) Bel Grain 5.000 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Sugar, Table (Sucrose) Sugar 2.000 lb No Yes 100%% 1 L
Total grain: 13.000 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Saaz (USA) 3.8%% 0.750 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 7.7
Saaz (USA) 3.8%% 1.500 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 20.2
Saaz (USA) 3.8%% 0.500 oz Boil 20.000 min Pellet 4.1

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
WLP500 - Trappist Ale Yeast Ale Liquid 2.367 tbsp Primary

If you want to be fancy about it, ferment it warmer than most ales (like upper seventies) and then for clarity either cold crash for a while, or store the bottles cold after they've had time to carbonate.

Do you mean cold crash prior to bottling? Higher fermentation temps won't be a problem. I figure i can ferment from 68-78 depending where in the house I use. My challenge will be starting around 64 as suggested.

For my strong Belgians, I ferment for a week at the high end of ale temperatures (I don't bother starting cold and ramping up, the way some of the abbey breweries do it), then chill to just barely not freezing for two weeks, then pitch new yeast and bottle. If you do it this way, though, he new yeast is a must - most Belgian yeasts (including Wyeast 3787, which is my go-to for this sort of thing) won't perk back up very well after the cold crash.

32 IBU's will give you a BU:GU ratio of .36, very close to the recommended .37 ratio.

Instead of using IBU's when designing a recipe it is much better to use BU:GU ratio.

Take your expected OG (1.088) and the IBU's (32) divide the 32 by 88 which will give you the BU:GU ratio.

Here is a good reference of BU:GU ratios per style.

http://www.madalchemist.com/chart_bitterness_ratio.html

Also worth looking at the ratios in some authentic Belgian versions of the style.

Achel Blond 8: OG 1.078, 30 IBU, BU:GU .38
Chimay Blanche: OG 1.069, 35 IBU, BU:GU .51
Westmalle Tripel: OG 1.081, 39 IBU, BU:GU .48

Note that Westmalle is often regarded as the prototypical tripel, and is the highest IBU of the three. Of the three authentic Trappist tripels, 30 IBU and .38 BU:GU ratio is the least bitter. Of course, many authentically-Belgian tripels that don't come from monasteries are lower, as are most American versions of the style. The BJCP style guidelines say it can be as low as 20 IBU, but if you're going for authenticity I wouldn't do that unless you have a fairly low OG for the style as well.

(I've only made a tripel once, and it was really a slightly stronger blond variant of my Achel Bruin 8 clone, at OG 1.090 and 22 IBU, for a ratio of .26. If I were doing it again, I'd use 50% more bittering hops, for 31 IBU and a ratio of .34.)

Yeah I'd target 30-34 IBU for a Tripel (I've made 2). Love the 3787 yeast, its a beast. Make sure you pitch a nice starter thats been decanted to have enough cells for the job. Give them some yeast nutrient and aerate too. You want a tripel that's finishes sub-1.01.

Definitely switch to 5 gallon batches. Brewing is a lot of work, you might as well get as much out of your fermentation vessels as you can. If you're drinking some of these at the end of summer, great. But saving half the batch for 9-12 months post-brewing will be rewarding for you. The yeast continue to provide different flavors over time.

I like the temperature ramp for Belgians. Start in mid 60's for 2 days, then ramp 1-2 degrees a day to a peak in the low 70's as it finishes up. You still get plenty of belgian character with this method and you avoid fusel alcohols. Also the hot alcohol flavor takes less time to mellow out, which is really in your best interest if you plan on drinking these in 4 months. I would primary for 4 weeks, secondary for 4 weeks, carbonate for 4 weeks, and lager the bottles in a fridge for the last 4 weeks (if they are carb'd). Those you don't need for the party, keep in a basement or cellar for aging.

Also about the belgian yeasts not perking up again after a cold crash, not sure my experience agrees. The fridge I use as a yeast bank for long term storage is 34 degrees. I've made yeast starters from 3787 after 6+ months in the fridge and it started right up.

Definitely switch to 5 gallon batches. Brewing is a lot of work, you might as well get as much out of your fermentation vessels as you can. If you're drinking some of these at the end of summer, great. But saving half the batch for 9-12 months post-brewing will be rewarding for you. The yeast continue to provide different flavors over time.

In an ideal world, totally this.

On the other hand, when I started doing temp control for authentic Belgian schedules it involved a mini-fridge in which I could fit a three-gallon batch but not five... which just means I had to brew more often, and I'm OK with this.

Thanks gang. Brew day is here. Made a starter earlier in the week with wlp500. In the future I'll pay more attraction to ratio than actual IBU's. ironically i did just that with my oatmeal stout recipe.

My only concern tonight is I've never added dme at flameout and now I'll be adding 6#'s plus 2#'s sugar. I've read the whisk method works.

I don't have much for temp control either. I'll put my fermenter in Water bucket with ice and a towel over it for a couple days then it still probably sit around 74. Just need to decide between my garage and my brew closet. Closet might not warm up enough actually.

Thanks for all the advice.

I would primary for 4 weeks, secondary for 4 weeks, carbonate for 4 weeks, and lager the bottles in a fridge for the last 4 weeks (if they are carb'd). Those you don't need for the party, keep in a basement or cellar for aging.

Do others agree? Happy to go by this. Not sure I can ramp up the temp slowly. Right now the carboy is in a bucket with water around 63. To ramp it up I intend to keep removing some of the water buffer.

This is one robust fermentation. I made a starter but at 12 hours it was quiet. Took my son to a track meet and when I got home krausen was filling the head space. Shortly after it was going through the blow off tube with no issues.

Thank goodness. I have 3/8 tubing running off the top of an 3-piece airlock. it's angry in there.

It's warming up this week in San Marcos. Low-mid 80's. My garage remains decently cool but I've taken a little water out of the buffering bucket and added a wicking compression shirt for the next few days. Overkill ? Do i risk keeping my Tripel too cool?

I plan on keeping it in primary for a month. Should i even bother checking the gravity? It's been in primary a little over one week. I smell clove, banana etc when i sniff from the airlock.

Do you have a thermometer in your water to know where your temps are at? I don't think the shirt is overkill. How fast is it bubbling? You can probably start to ramp up your temps if you like. I usually only control temps for the first few days to a week during the yeast reproduction phase.

The bucket was anywhere from 60-64 the first few days using ice blocks. Without ice, it's between around 66 in the morning and 68-69 at the end of the day. Outdoor Temp is going up around 10 degrees for the next few days.

Thoughts? I plan on building a basic chamber with a garment moving box and foam soon. for my needs it should be sufficient for cooling or warming without buying a fridge.

P.s. Bubbling is very minimal now. Day 10. Saturday was every few seconds. So no real signs if activity but that doesn't m mean the yeast isn't going to town, right? Only my third batch so pardon the noob questions

Let it ride now. I would get the temps up to 70 at least to help it finish up. You can go as high as 74 or 75 if you want extra phenolics/esters. It will continue to chew threw the last 5 to 10 points over the next 2-3 weeks. Sounds like you had a pretty good fermentation, good job! I think this one will turn out great for you given some time (and all belgias are like that).

I've even had fermentation restart in secondary, and in the bottle (in my first batch). The first batch was a little overcabonated, but no bombs luckily.

Thanks for the tips. I could take it entirely out of the bucket later this week. I'll monitor my garage ambient temp. Probably maxes mid 70's. Planning on building the box just because it sounds fun.

Thanks about the fermentation compliment. sure glad i used a blow off tube. My oatmeal stout barely krausened butiknew thus could happen. Especially with a good starter and minimal head space in the Better bottle which by the way i like. That's why i kept it in the garage and not my coat closet. In case it exploded.

4vs0ic.jpg

Just transfered to secondary fermentation after 28 days. Actually this is only my 3rd brew and first time using a secondary so it's kind of exciting. I think the color is good. Smells really good but I think it is still developing the clove and banana smells/taste. That should come out more in secondary, right?

Tasting it from the gravity sample it is VERY dry. Almost like a sweeter white wine with just a hint of banana. Very clean.

Being new to this I'm not confident I am reading my hydrometer perfectly but it looks like 1.014 (1.013 + temp correction). If my SG was correct it looks like my brewhouse efficiency was around 70% which is what I used for my recipe but it dried out better than Brewtarget had estimated, which was 1.020 in the software.

So according to my calculations my projected ABV of 8.51 came in at 9.23% DANG!

Even if all of this is wrong, I MADE BEER!

I've found that Belgian yeasts will produce flavors that continue to progress over time. This is especially true with higher gravity tripels and quads. Sounds like it is coming along quite nicely. Keep us posted!

I'll be bottling a tripel made with wlp500 this weekend. I'll let you know how it is. Cheers!

I read that high gravity beers that have sat racked to secondary can have most of the yeast drop out. I'm bottling thus weekend. I've never used bottling yeast. Is it necessary? There's a decent but probably tired yeast cake in the carboy. Should i just suck up a little when i rack to bottling?

P.s. Should i cheek the final gravity too? I did after primary fermentation. Can a tripel clean up even more?

No, 4 weeks in primary and 3-4 weeks in secondary will not be a problem for bottle carbing. I don't think you need any bottling yeast and you will probably suck up plenty of yeast just racking normally. 1.014 is not that low for a Tripel, so I would not worry. They are supposed to be pretty dry.

One thing I have found with 3787 (not sure with WLP500) is that fermentation will frequently restart. My first batch never got warm enough in secondary to restart, so it restarted in the bottle. Never had a bottle bomb, but they were highly carbonated. Which is to style I'd say, but I have to pour them very slowly. My next batch sat in secondary for 2-3 months (in summer). So it restarted in the carboy and finished out. Not highly carbonated. My Dubbel acted like my first tripel so its really carbonated highly. I only mention all of this so you can plan for how much priming sugar to add.

Try to allow for 2-3 weeks of fridge time for your bottles prior to your party (post-warm carbing of course). So much better this way IMO. The longer the better.

Thanks for the great advice. I bagged my cases just in case of bottle bombs. i must say, even the sample tastes FANTASTIC. it tastes like true Tripel with the fruit aromas still developing. It didn't have hot alcohol to it. my wife chose the style and helped brew and bottle and she thinks it tasted great. I'm really proud of this one already. I bottled in 22's but did a handful in 12's in case i want to enter it in competition.

I wish all my brews went to bottle this good. I've got my stout in the Del Mar fair tomorrow. Mt first homebrew comp.

Back