My wife has problems (not mentally lol)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk7728

Reaction score
My wife started to make wine. On her first batch, the fermenting temp was too high, resulting in off flavours. She was told to leave it in her fermentor until the wine aquired the taste she was after. Close to 2 months later, she felt the taste was ok and she added all the little packets that came with her kit (sorry, i make beer not wine), filtered and bottled. After leaving the wine standing for 3 days, to let the cork breathe???, and sitting another 3 weeks (meanwhile ive just finished brewing my third batch of beer lol), she FINALLY opened one and loved it. The problem is, the next bottle, the taste was off. She felt it tasted "yeasty" almost carbonated. Shes afraid to open another bottle, for the fear of being let down. Any ideas what could be going on?

Hard to say without knowing what was in those little packets.

It sounds like the wine is fermenting in the bottle, but who knows.

Need more info like what type of wine, starting SG, final SG, what additives etc.

yeasty tasting is different then carbonated tasting....yeasty wine means you didnt rack properly or you didnt clear properly. corbonated tasting means you didnt degass or its still fermenting...if your bottles havent blown up yet you probably just didnt degass it enough....

Back