My well water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-love

Reaction score
I know that some of you guys get sick of seeing these water report threads, but I am hoping someone will check mine out and tell me what they think. I have been reading about how all the different parts of water work by themselves, but I also understand that the overall water profile is what it is based on how all of the parts work together. I am a little confused and since I am making the move to AG, I want to have a good handle on my water as a starting point.

Can someone give me a good summary of my water? Is it good/ bad? What needs to be improved on or changed? Any help is appreciated.

pH - 8.1
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est - 104
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm - 0.17
Cations / Anions, me/L/ - 1.7/1.8
Sodium, Na - 8ppm
Potassium, K - 1ppm
Calcium, Ca - 12ppm
Magnesium, Mg - 8ppm
Total Hardness, CaCO3 - 63ppm
Nitrate, NO3-N - 0.2 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S - 3ppm
Chloride, Cl < 1ppm
Carbonate, CO3 - 3ppm
Bicarbonate, HCO3 - 92ppm
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 81ppm

Your water looks pretty good for lighter beers. You will want to up some of the salts for darker beers.

Use this calculator, put in your current water, select your beer type and the volume of liquor you will need. It will give you the appropriate mineral additions. I'd much rather have your water than mine. I had to buy an RO system to pull all the minerals out and then start from scratch to get the liquor profile I need.

Edit: Whoops, I see someone else suggested a water adjustment tool as well. Not sure how it compares to this one.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the links you provided.

WildWest - I always enjoy seeing your posts because of your avatar.... I hope you're lucky enough to know those girls! ;-)

Back