My Thermometer Fooled Me!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
UGH! Man, i have taken a year to get my system setup and find time to brew... i get it together today and i was stoked.

I mash in and i am dead on! :ban:

So i am recirculating and have some heat on it to make sure i dont drop ... loving life! Until i see the mash tun smoking more than it should (brewing outside) i rip the cover off and take another reading with another thermometer DAMN IT!!!! its at like 170!

I frantically try to get these temps down but it must have been like 30 minutes at this temp. I think the grain around the thermometer in the kettle must have given me a false reading. I am LIVID right now.

UGH! here's to hoping this thing still turns out okay... jeez... i just cant win :mad:

Every new setup has a settle-in period. Even the pros expect they'll be a couple batches in before they understand their rig.

If the OG was okay, but the final gravity is too high, then you had bad conversion. A little Alpha enzyme in the fermenter will fix that.

Back