My son started my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayi

Reaction score
I've had some health issues so my son was trying to be helpful 13# of golden promise mashed at 164 then he broke the hydrometer so I have no idea what the starting gravity was but now after 3 weeks its 1.016. Is there a way to get this down or did he mash so high most of the sugar is non-fermentable.

I would say if he mashed at 164° and it's all the way down to 1.016 it is probably done. What type of yeast did you use?

I've had some health issues so my son was trying to be helpful 13# of golden promise mashed at 164 then he broke the hydrometer so I have no idea what the starting gravity was but now after 3 weeks its 1.016. Is there a way to get this down or did he mash so high most of the sugar is non-fermentable.

The simple answer: check sg and if it's stable over 2-3 days, then I'd call it quits. 1.016 is not so high that it's undrinkable. I'd bet there's too much unfermentables in there and that's as low as you'll get.

Sure you could add some beano and get it down further... But I've had plenty of beers with fg's in this range that were great.

Sounds like kegging time. Might be sweet enough to pour over ice cream

I have had beers finish at 1.03. If the flavor balance is right, you will never notice the 1.016.

1 OZ Mosaic at boil and at 20 minutes and Wyeast 1272 usually makes a nice dry crisp summer drinking beer. I'll try it and I'll probably force the whole five gallons down. It's just the hard part of being a home brewer

Go based on taste! I am starting to be of the mindset that ingredients make up much more of the flavor than FG.

Back