My Second Home brew (start)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

res1bcb1

Reaction score
Ok so got a new kit in today. all brewed up in fermenter now. my second try at brooklyn brew shops Everyday IPA.
Mash@148°F for 60 mins
mashed out at 170
Columbus Hops at Start boil
1/5 th Chinook Hops 15 mins after boil
""30 mins into boil
""45 mins into boil
""55 mins into boil
""60 mins into boil
Chilled to 70°F
OG 1050

Here is pics thru the process

Snapchat-7443310527770756232.jpg

Snapchat-7341235344951159494.jpg

Snapchat-6005794850746975420.jpg

Snapchat-2056555924139087088.jpg

Snapchat-6068834000823251839.jpg

Snapchat-5759517634440159080.jpg

Hi res1bcb1! Interesting to see how your brew is going, I'll be doing my very first soon and the everyday IPA is one of my first projects :) Hope yours turns out nicely! I'll stick around for updates.

Hi res1bcb1! Interesting to see how your brew is going, I'll be doing my very first soon and the everyday IPA is one of my first projects :) Hope yours turns out nicely! I'll stick around for updates.

Haha Call me Dan. :) and this is my second batch... im going to recommend to strain as much as possible to get as much sediment as possible out.... both of my batches have had an large amount of sediment. . my second obviously less then the first... but could use a few more strains.

Haha Call me Dan. :) and this is my second batch... im going to recommend to strain as much as possible to get as much sediment as possible out.... both of my batches have had an large amount of sediment. . my second obviously less then the first... but could use a few more strains.

Hey Dan, great to see you posting your 2nd brew here.

Looking at the pics and reading your comment about the sediment again, I am wondering how you transferred the mash to the boil kettle? Did you have a bazooka screen in the MLT? I didn't see a bag so I'm assuming its not a BIAB, though I can't be positive. If you used some other method of transfer, maybe this is what's driving your large sediment.

Brew on, my man! :mug:

Im assuming that when you mention sediment you're talking about the trub (hop debris, hot break, etc) that you strain out from going in the fermentor? Or the straining of the grains? If its the first, dont worry too much about how much you strain out. The hop debris can go straight into the fermentor. The only issue it will cause is reducing the amount of room for your finished product to fit. Other than that, looks good! Welcome to the hobby!

Toss a few kernels of that cat food in for some added twang! hahaha. Not sure if you're doing this already, but given you are doing small 1 gal batches it would be really easy to buy a large (5gal) and small (1 gal) paint strainer bag from HD or Lowes and use the large for the grains and the small for the hops (clip it to side of kettle). It will do wonders at keeping that junk out and making transfer easier through that strainer (I don't use a strainer ever and final product is very clear). Congrats on brew 2!

Looks great man...only thing I would add to whats already been said is to leave some more headspace...you are definitely going to be putting that blow off tube to work.

Looks great man...only thing I would add to whats already been said is to leave some more headspace...you are definitely going to be putting that blow off tube to work.

yeah haha i noticed that today checking in the brew. i left more head space on my first batch and dont believe i ever recieved kreusen. so this batch i left less head space and now i see xD

Looking at the pics and reading your comment about the sediment again, I am wondering how you transferred the mash to the boil kettle? Did you have a bazooka screen in the MLT? I didn't see a bag so I'm assuming its not a BIAB, though I can't be positive. If you used some other method of transfer, maybe this is what's driving your large sediment.

mash to boil my process was
mashed out at 170°
poured grain into fine mesh strainer the size of my 12 quart pot.
while straining heated 2nd pot of water 4 quarts to 170° poured over mash.... restrained .. got wort. restrained wort thru grain once. i used three 12 quart pots in the process.. wort was obviously restrained to aeriate into fermenter... and the sediment in this batch is literally 1/5 of first batch because i purchased differ strainers.

Toss a few kernels of that cat food in for some added twang! hahaha. Not sure if you're doing this already, but given you are doing small 1 gal batches it would be really easy to buy a large (5gal) and small (1 gal) paint strainer bag from HD or Lowes and use the large for the grains and the small for the hops (clip it to side of kettle). It will do wonders at keeping that junk out and making transfer easier through that strainer (I don't use a strainer ever and final product is very clear). Congrats on brew 2!

Thanks for the tip! ill have to look into that!

yeah i left alot of head space last time and never got kreusen! lol shame on me... yep my blow off is terrible lol.... lesson learned.

Im assuming that when you mention sediment you're talking about the trub (hop debris, hot break, etc) that you strain out from going in the fermentor? Or the straining of the grains? If its the first, dont worry too much about how much you strain out. The hop debris can go straight into the fermentor. The only issue it will cause is reducing the amount of room for your finished product to fit. Other than that, looks good! Welcome to the hobby!

Lol yeah you shoulda seen my first home brew ... out of 1 gallon half was trub hahaha.. this time is much better

And again sorry im new to homebrewing so the abbreviations are new as well ! please explain !
cheers :mug:

Looks exactly like what I got in one of my fermenters. Brewed that same kit last weekend. Did mine in a bag though.

mash to boil my process was
mashed out at 170°
poured grain into fine mesh strainer the size of my 12 quart pot.
while straining heated 2nd pot of water 4 quarts to 170° poured over mash.... restrained .. got wort. restrained wort thru grain once. i used three 12 quart pots in the process.. wort was obviously restrained to aeriate into fermenter... and the sediment in this batch is literally 1/5 of first batch because i purchased differ strainers.

Ok, so this explains #1 better to me now! I didn't realize your process and yeah likely your straining (first batch) wasn't sufficient enough. When I used a cooler MLT (Mash Lauter Tun) I hooked it up with a SS hose braid (remove the SS outside of a braided hose for water supply) to filter through. This method helps to set a grain bed and keep it clearer than your method, though I've never done it your way and now with a finer strainer you may be a-ok. I'm glad to hear your results are looking so much better with the finer strainer. Oh, and I saw the post above about using the paint strainer bags. I advise against that! These bags are not made for hot temps, they will leech chemicals. Get a proper BIAB (boil in a bag) from your LHBS (Local Home Brew Store). They are fine for DH (Dry Hopping) or transfer to fermenter when wort is cooler.

And again sorry im new to homebrewing so the abbreviations are new as well ! please explain !
cheers :mug:

Hope above explanations helped! Also you can read John Palmers book, How to Brew, for additional learning- there are some alternate methods to his processes, but its still solid information.

Don't worry about trub going into the fermentor it won't hurt your beer and may actually be beneficial!
http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

Also dont use snow to chill your pot, it is counter productive because it actually creates a layer of insulation and actually takes longer to cool! Ice water bath is going to be your best friend until you get an IC

Don't worry about trub going into the fermentor it won't hurt your beer and may actually be beneficial!
http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

Also dont use snow to chill your pot, it is counter productive because it actually creates a layer of insulation and actually takes longer to cool! Ice water bath is going to be your best friend until you get an IC

should have posted that i did add cold water with the snow! i know that once melting turning to ice is not good! with cold water and snow i actually dropped the temp from 170 to 70 in roughly 18 mins.i was aware thank you for advice! next time ill be sure to use ice water to see the difference

roughly 36 hours took the blow hose off place airlock on ... bubbling has slowed dramatically. .. let sit a few more days and test gravity

20160130_102000.jpg

Looking good! Quite a bit of difference this time!! Congrats on your improvements!

Thanks man. yeah i learned alot from the mistakes off of number 1 lol last time i didnt even chill the beer nearly as quick

You will find loads of contradictions in brewing, it never ceases to amaze me how different practices can succeed. Ex, no chill method! Some things will hold, sanitation, pitching temps, ferm temps (very important for best beer), while others are best practices but can vary. The link that was posted to brulosopher's page has a lot of interesting examples. Best luck on your brewing!

Cheers!

Oh, and I saw the post above about using the paint strainer bags. I advise against that! These bags are not made for hot temps, they will leech chemicals.

Tons of people on these forums been using paint strainer bags forever dude. Now yes, I use Wilserbrewer's bag which is much finer mesh for filtering even better but for a beginner the strainer bags are totally fine. Used them for first couple years of brewing. OP, do yourself a favor and simply search "using paint strainer bags for brewing" and tell me if the massive amount of search results are about "chemical leaching, don't use them" or "work fine....been using them forever with no ill effects"..... @Kampenken, if you know of some legit study that confirms "chemicals leaching" at mash temps from nylon paint strainer bags then by all means back up your claim here.

Oh, and I saw the post above about using the paint strainer bags. I advise against that! These bags are not made for hot temps, they will leech chemicals.

Tons of people on these forums been using paint strainer bags forever dude. Now yes, I use Wilserbrewer's bag which is much finer mesh for filtering even better but for a beginner the strainer bags are totally fine. Used them for first couple years of brewing. OP, do yourself a favor and simply search "using paint strainer bags for brewing" and tell me if the massive amount of search results are about "chemical leaching, don't use them" or "work fine....been using them forever with no ill effects"..... @Kampenken, if you know of some legit study that confirms "chemicals leaching" at mash temps from nylon paint strainer bags then by all means back up your claim here.

No need to argue. brewing is great... everyone has opinions they are like AHoles. right? research always solves everything... as in where i understand where you you are coming from... but in any kind of common knowledge. .. heating plastic with something you are ingesting could infact lead to chemicals being released obviously. . he was merely stating his opinion against the paint bags... but in any sense... any brewer that is going to continue to brew should probably just invest in some good boil bags:) but again as always im new here so i accept any input.:)
:mug:

No need to argue. brewing is great... everyone has opinions they are like AHoles. right? research always solves everything... as in where i understand where you you are coming from... but in any kind of common knowledge. .. heating plastic with something you are ingesting could infact lead to chemicals being released obviously. . he was merely stating his opinion against the paint bags... but in any sense... any brewer that is going to continue to brew should probably just invest in some good boil bags:) but again as always im new here so i accept any input.:)
:mug:

Fully agree! 3 years of at least monthly brewing and I still learn a LOT by keeping up with this awesome forum. For super new brewers though, I like there to be accurate info readily accessible to them and not just speculative opinions which muddy the waters more so than they already are to a brand new brewer. Of course, forums will have tons of opinion which is part of the enjoyment so I guess it's really up to the reader to recognize those statements based on facts from studies vs someone's biased view. That being said, you sound sure you wan to invest in a good bag so I will gladly refer you on to @wilserbrewer, his bags are awesome & his customer support is top notch!

Fully agree! 3 years of at least monthly brewing and I still learn a LOT by keeping up with this awesome forum. For super new brewers though, I like there to be accurate info readily accessible to them and not just speculative opinions which muddy the waters more so than they already are to a brand new brewer. Of course, forums will have tons of opinion which is part of the enjoyment so I guess it's really up to the reader to recognize those statements based on facts from studies vs someone's biased view. That being said, you sound sure you wan to invest in a good bag so I will gladly refer you on to @wilserbrewer, his bags are awesome & his customer support is top notch!

Yep im most likely just going to some bags. ..now im not made of money .. but i sure as hell lime to spend it on my hobbies lolxD

Glad that's all clear, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers here! :)

lol no issues was ganna say jeez hostility on my 2nd post? over some BIABs lol... but i check my gravity today its at 1.020 is that looking good or should it be lower? seems like no visual yeast activities. .. should i rouse yeast slightly?

or just sit and wait i need opinions! i know patience is key... but seeing how much better this brew looks time is killing me

Toss a few kernels of that cat food in for some added twang! hahaha.

Oh thank god somebody mentioned the cat food. Haha! My eyes kept drawing to it in the pics. Course I'm surrounded by dozens of chickens when I brew so no doubt some chicken poo in my brew or something.

Beer looks good OP, keep up the obsession!

Oh thank god somebody mentioned the cat food. Haha! My eyes kept drawing to it in the pics. Course I'm surrounded by dozens of chickens when I brew so no doubt some chicken poo in my brew or something.

Beer looks good OP, keep up the obsession!

thanks mag pie. lol that cat food has been moved sense i dont even remember why it was on the table i believe my wife was cleaning. haha. possible you could answer question above?

If you are referring to whether 1.020 is low enough my opinion is to have patience young padawan. Even after you've hit your target gravity it's best to let it sit to let the yeast clean up so as to lessen your chance of off flavors. Try to make it to 10 days for primary fermentation. Just keep brewing so you have beer to drink while you wait!

Every fermentation is a bit different so having done a lot of batches I was expecting something but my last batch had an expected FG of 1.018 so I was rather concerned when I measured 1.030 at the end of the second week. My beers are usually done by then. This one continued to ferment and now at the end of week 3 it finally hit the 1.018. I've learned to be somewhat patient but this was a new lesson.

What's your fermentation temp?
IMO, you are checking gravity way too soon. If you brewed on 1.29 then you are just wasting your volume. I never check gravity until 10-14 days min. Most times I let it go 3 weeks before checking, especially with a 1 gallon batch. If you take a gravity reading every few days you will not have anything to drink lol.
My one gallon batches usually net me 8-9 bottles. What did you get with your first batch?

FWIW, I'm a new brewer as well. I have about 18 batches under my belt. I brew mainly 2 & 3 gallon batches, mainly because I'm just trying different recipes to see which I like.

One issue I have come across is there are ALOT of opinions and many different ways to accomplish the same thing. With that said, it's not a bad thing but is confusing as hell for a new brewer.

Good luck and enjoy this freakin obsession.

Back