My Second ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewsBrew

Reaction score
This is my second shot at an ESB. This recipe I created myself, adjusted from the first batch. Comments and suggestions welcome.

3 gallon boil

5# light DME (2# at start of boil. 3# with 20 mins left)
1# Crystal Malt 60L Steeped 30 mins @ 152 deg.
1# Dark Munich Steeped 30 mins @ 152 deg.

2 oz. Fuggles @ 60 mins
1 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 15 mins

1 oz. East Kent Goldings dry hopped.

Yeast: WLP005

If this one is successful, I'm going to do an AG version of it for my first AG.....just substituting Maris Otter for the DME

me too!

Thats the experimental ingredient.

Last recipe used

3.3# Light LME
3.3# Amber LME
1# Crystal 60L
Half cup brown sugar (@ beginning of boil)
Half cup pure maple syrup (@ beginning of boil)

Yeast: WLP002

I achieved what I wanted by getting that sweet caramel flavor. However, I love the maltiness of a Scottish ale and wanted some of those characteristics in my ESB. I don't know if its breaking the rules or not for the style. The guy at the LHBS suggested the Munich for that purpose.

It seems to me you are doing something I love to do. I followed recipes for a while, and decided there were grains and tastes I liked, and a few I didn't.
I just made what I thought would taste good.
I have made some beers that others have found very tasty.
But they do not comply with any given style.
My philosophy is, I want it to taste good. I don't particularly care what the style mavens say.
You'll have to decide if you want a particular style, of if you want to please your own palate, and disregard those who must pigeon-hole every brew.
The only other thing I will add, is that there are some style things that are there because some tastes don't really belong together. But how will you know until you try?
Brew on!!! :mug:

Back