My Red...48 hours in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NocturnalEMT

Reaction score
So the "bubbles" are getting quite close to the neck of the carboy and I am starting to wonder if its going to make it to the top...should I be worried or is this looking right...:confused:

004.jpg

if you're worried, stick a blow off tube on there...

I don't think it will pop it. I have a very steadly release from my airlock, perfect incriments of release.

What exactly is a blow-off?

A blow-off rig replaces your airlock and allows the krasuen, bubbles and goo, to escape into a container of sanitizer/water mix. You can use a hose that fits directly into the mouth of the carboy, or find some siphon hose that fits into the hole in a bung and run that into a container of sanitized water, I use I gallon milk jugs.

You rig a length of tubing between the upright nipple on a three-piece airlock and a glass or jar of starsan. It accomplishes the same task, but with less risk of clogging and overpressurization. You can also use a gauge of tubing that fits directly into the neck of the carboy.

Will do...I am not positive now long I should leave it in there...I'm off to Mexico and wont be back until the 26th...I was thinking about bottling it then....suggestions? I feel like picking up the carboy and drinking all 5 gallons...Looks good honestly. I have a kiwi wheat in a 5 gallon bucket next to it. so I have no idea what that looks like

all you're doing is replacing the airlock with a tube... just make sure everything is clean/sanitized...you shouldn't jack anything up.

I just read into dj's comment. should i remove the water in the airlock?

You remove the pee trap airlock altogether and replace it with a long tube, of which the other end is completely submerged in a sanitized bucket of water. The reason for this is that the Krausen can be strong enough to shoot that little airlock to the ceiling (yes, i'm speaking from experience).

Let me ask you this. If it doesn't reach the top, does it hurt to have in there.? Looks like it gives it character.

What we use is a stopper with a length of tubing jammed into the hole, leading out to a used LME bucket filled with a starsan solution. Same thing can be accomplised by attaching it to the airlock post, at least with a 3 piece airlock. Not sure if it can be done with one of the S-types.
We've also left the blowoff on for entire fermentations, no harm no foul.

So I marked a line where the Krausen was, went to bed with hope that this **** wasnt everywhere, and by God it went down. Starting to look like its slowing down a bit....I am highly anticipating this brew...thanks for the help all.

:mug:

5 days in. I was starting to get worried, but its actually changing colors...from a caramel color to an actual RED color.

Back