My New Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Premnasbiaculeatus

Reaction score
I made this for making 15 gallon batches. I used a 120 quart cooler, and a 4500 watt Water Heater element. The pump is just a 120 volt utlilty pump designed to connect to garden hoses.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really cool. Any issue with the 4500w element melting or warping the cooler? I was also thinking you could easily make a CPVC manifold to sit on top of your grain bed to better distribute the wort around the cooler.

This is really cool. Any issue with the 4500w element melting or warping the cooler? I was also thinking you could easily make a CPVC manifold to sit on top of your grain bed to better distribute the wort around the cooler.

No Melting or warping: I've seen people mount 2KW elements in plastic buckets and boil water, so I felt pretty safe, especially knowing it would cut out at 153. It really does roar when the contact pulls in, made me a little nervous at first. But I let it get to temp with just water first, and looked inside to make sure there was no melting or leaking before I dumped my grain in.

Back