My NEIPA water profile.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravelscratcher

Reaction score
I'm putting together a NEIPA recipe, and setting up a water profile.
My set up is: No Sparge BIAB - 5 gallons. Strike quantity is: 7.85 gallons, based on 1 gallon boil off, and .125 gallons/lb of grain, in addition to the standard 5 gallons (15 gallon kettle).
My base water is 100% distilled.
Wanted to get opinions on what I'm doing:
Here's the water profile:
upload_2019-1-27_16-51-44.png

Here's the grain bill:
upload_2019-1-27_16-52-20.png

water additions I have are:
Gypsum, Calcium Chloride, Baking Soda, Epsom Salt, and Lactic Acid.

Get rid of the baking soda. Your mash pH is too high, and it is not needed. It is contributing to your high mash pH.

I thought the PH seemed high, that's why I'm asking.
I'm new to Bru'n Water. I actually thought the brown cell color, on the PH cell, was good/ideal.
Green color in the cell makes sense of course, but I thought that I read it was supposed to be brown for some reason.

You should probably bump up the CaCl. An NEIPA should have probably around 150 or so Chloride. Also, your pH could be a tad lower. 5.4 should be max. Additional CaCl will drop the pH adequately.

Re: bicarbonate: you don't need any.

Sorry, I missed the Chloride at 150 note.
I adjusted bumped that up w/ CaCl2 and some salt.
How's this one look?
Sorry to be such a noob, but I'm just getting into water chemistry.
This recipe is expensive, so I don't want to blow it w/ my water being off target, and screw it all up.

upload_2019-1-27_18-25-14.png

Sorry, I missed the Chloride at 150 note.
I adjusted bumped that up w/ CaCl2 and some salt.
How's this one look?
Sorry to be such a noob, but I'm just getting into water chemistry.
This recipe is expensive, so I don't want to blow it w/ my water being off target, and screw it all up.
That looks pretty good! I'd go with that.
Report back the results!

How did this turn out? I will be brewing a neipa tomorrow and it will be my first time building my water from distilled.

Back