My neighbors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just met the guy who lives across the street. Other folks in the neighborhood have mentioned that he lets his dog roam around, and it tends to leave massive piles of poo in all the yards on the block. We've found some of the land mines, and they are indeed rather large (and not very "cohesive" ... gross). However, I hadn't seen the dog until yesterday morning. The owner was outside, so I confronted him:

Me: "Hi there. Is that your dog in my yard? (pointing)"
Him: "Oh yeah. (commences yelling at the dog) Come here boy!"
Me: "Isn't that a fence behind your house? (pointing)"
Him: "Yeah."
Me: "Could you maybe use it to keep your dog out of my yard? He's driving my dog crazy."
Him: (silence)
Me: "And, please don't let him **** in my yard anymore. It's pretty gross."
Him: (again, silence)

Four hours later, I came home and found another sloppy land mine in the yard. Furious, I was ready to throw it all over his front porch, but SWMBO didn't want to cause trouble, especially since we're new to the neighborhood. Fortunately, his house is for sale. It can't sell fast enough.

I'm pretty lucky I guess. My neighbors are all far enough away that I can only see one of them, and they are very friendly.

Today stood there talking to me while the dog did it, without a concern in the world

I would have gone over, picked the turd up, and handed it to the guy - "Here, I think this belongs to you" :mad:

We lucked out. Where we live the standard lot is a 1/4 acre, we have a corner lot on a 1/3 so we have alot of immediate neighbors and they all rock. Our house use to be a rental house so they are very happy to see some one take care of it. That and they are all thai, jamacian, or japanese so the food at enighborhood block parties kicks ass. What I hate are the rest of the aholes that and jerk wads that drive through the neighborhood blairing bass music at 1am.

Our 10 year plan includes us buying several acres in the panhandle around the madison area. I love my neighbors but I hate the damn city.

We are moving to the Melbourne /Cocoa area in 5 years and the thought of a 1/4 acre lot kills me. We have 1 1/2 acres and are surrounded by woods and farms. I just can't stand the winters any more. There must an an acre sized lot left in Florida somewhere.

One side is great, family with a couple of really cool foster kids 4-8 yrs old. Other side is a bunch of 25ish guys who have loud barbecues 'til 4am several nights a week. On the bright side, I think he has a pretty good shop that could be useful for homebrew equipment.

ps doesn't neighbour have a 'u' in it even in the states? Or did they abandon that just like they abandoned valour and honour?

I typed here three times but took too long- let me mark my spot!

My neighbor across the street leaves three kids alone for days-
Welfare Queen- Quit a job where she got a raise, because she wouldn't qualify for benefits at her new pay.
Boy 13 ( ADD) destructive
Girl 15
girl 17(drives a car-never home)

Next door- Convicted felon- Ankle bracelet-NJ State Troopers showed up at the door, guns in hand/drawn. Last offense, he pinned a 13 yr old girl against a building with his car and told her he was going to r*pe and K*ll her. Our last conversation was that if he even looked at my ex or her kid, I would not hesitate to end it for him.

Other side:
10x12 hole in back of house(will scan pics later) real trash. Their dog was having loose bloody stool in backyard, and when dog could not get up and was laying in it, writhing in pain, I knocked, and dragged him outside to look at the dog. I got locked up, but he didn't press charges.

I am moving.

pic taken over my tomato garden, which they complained was growing into their yard...

neighboroe6.jpg

Most of my neighbors are pretty cool.

The old guy across the street has an awesome man cave w/ a kegerator - downside there is that he only keeps miller lite on tap.

A friend and former colleague lives next door. He is the one who got me into brewing, so there are NO problems there.

The only "annoying" neighbor is the former HOA president who is a dead ringer for Ned Flanders. We call him "neighbor" because of that.

I enjoy apartment living, which means sometimes only a wall separates us from moronic neighbors.

We had crackheads next door for a while. You could smell it when you walked into the building and it got strong by my place since our doors were side by side. Not good for having guests. One night when it was really bad I put a note on their door, knocked, and ran back in my place. It said, "Crack Kills- Kill The Smell!" 10 seconds later they were in the hall spraying air freshener, with terrified, paranoid looks on their faces.

I was convinced a neighbor broke in and stole my birth certificate. A couple pairs of my girlfriends underwear disappeared at the same time. I suspected this person but had no proof.

I lived next to 5 Dutch guys, stuffed into a one bedroom, who were in a throwback, 80s heavy metal band. Need I say more?

I live in a NW suburb of Mexico City otherwise known as Glendale, AZ. The apartment complex I live at gets raided by the cops at least once a week. If I don't leave for work between 9 & 9:30 pm I won't be able to get past their road blocks. Several times I've had to call into work because I couldn't bother the cop to move his car (blocking mine) because he had his gun "drawn on a suspect". The times I'm most worried is when the last gunshot I heard wasn't from a shotgun. I miss having a house.

Oh my gosh, there are some real horror stories on here! I thought i had it bad...

I live on the third floor and my deck faces another apartments deck. Its about 25 feet from my deck. I guess the apartment is rented by one of those technical colleges for like engine repair and stuff. Its a two bedroom and they cram 4 guys into this thing. One day i noticed something on thier deck, under neath their dollar store patio furniture, 4 mud tires, and truck lock box. It looked like some type of large mat. After looking at it for a while, i came to the conclusion it was thier linoleium kitchen floor. I asked them once why they ripped up the floor and they said "We didnt like it." They carry on all night on the weekends but it usually does not bother me. It does bother me when i go out on to my deck and one of the drunk hillbillies starts talking to me. My apartment complex is really nice and so is the office staff. What bugs me is these rednecks live in this upper middle class apartment for basically free and just trash the place. The grass underneath thier deck looks like a fricking landfill. Oh well, i get back from this deployment in less then two weeks and i get to move out a few days later and move into my house. Hooray! :rockin:

I think I'm pretty lucky, after reading some of these comments!

I just moved into a new neighborhood in May, and so far have met the neighbors next door, two doors down, and across the street.

The neighbors next door love us, because we're a lot more "mainstream" than the previous occupants.

The neighbors across the street love us, because we're not as "mainstream" as the previous occupants.

Go figure!

Due to a weird property layout, I have too many neighbors.

myhouse.jpg

I live in the half of a double with the arrow above it. I have no problems at all with the neighbors that we share the house with, but my house borders all of those row homes. I literally have 11 next door neighbors! Most of them don't really take too much care of their property/house, and because their property is elevated about 5 feet above mine, their garbage ends up in my yard frequently, but it's gotten a little better.

My biggest complaint is that we have a two-car parking pad in the back of our house along that little stub of an alley. People seem to think that they can park at the end of the alley and leave their car there EVEN IF THEY CAN SEE OUR CAR(S) PARKED THERE AND BLOCK US IN. Because there is one set of steps that feeds the back of all the row homes (there's probably 8 more that aren't pictured), we have no idea who the car belongs to. One time my wife was parked in and she had to go door to door to find out who was having work done by the cable company to get them to move their truck.

They always let their dogs crap in my yard. Today stood there talking to me while the dog did it, without a concern in the world.

Sigh.

I just saw this thread. It's funny that you mention the cavalier attitude your neighbor exhibited while he watched his dog take a dump on your lawn. I have a neighbor that would do exactly that. They would let their dog roam and it would ALWAYS crap in my yard! We would stand there talking, the dog would relieve itself and my neighbor would act like nothing was going on.

After more than a year of picking up their dog's excrement from my yard I decided to save up about three weeks worth of logs and deposit them on their front steps with a little note that read; "I believe these belong to you". Fortunately, they saw the humor in that and recognized that they have been negligent in their neighborly duties. The dog hasn't been allowed to defecate in my yard since. That was over 4 years ago.

Back