My N2O Beer Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayabusa

Reaction score
Race season is about to start up and I got a new tank on Nitrous so I immediatly looked at the old tank that was almost empty and said "I wonder what would happen if...."

First off - it's all medical grade N2O; I don't use the automotive stuff becuase a) the sulfur is dirty and b) I am fortunate enough to be able to get clean N20.

I wanted to carb up some Laugh-Ass-Cream-Ale so I took 1 gallon of Cream ale and transfered it into a new corny, hooked up a QD to the N2O tank.... first of all N2O is more soluable than CO2 so my carb level was WAY off (wish I looked that up first - that was a bad assumption)

I degassed it some with some shaking and purging and let it sit... got the "carb" level sorted out and the beer has that typical tinny-taste that you get when inhaling nitrous at the dentist (or a phish concert) and it was pretty disgusting.

I pounded the beer to see if the Nitrous would enter the bloodstream and give the typical Nitrous buzz.... it didn't.

had to try. had to share.

that would be a good social experiment....

Laughing-Ass-Cream-Ale
"it's like having Jerry Garcia in your ear"

hmmm - this is interesting...

Nitrous oxide (N2O) is a colorless, sweet-tasting gas which is slightly soluble in water and soluble in alcohol. Likewise, N2O may also be added as a foaming gas, where N2O is also known to take away the bitter taste associated with the introduction of CO2.

full (and interesting link) http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20090122ptan20090022869.php

hahaha! THANK YOU! I am so glad there are people like you who are crazy enough to try stupid things like this. I am wholly convinced that this sort of experimentation is the source of all human innovation and civilization. think of the first people who tried drinking fermented liquids in a vessel! the first proto human who thought it might be a good idea to chuck a dead animal on a fire and eat it. Maybe not on the same scale, but a noble attempt nonetheless and I love you for it.

Back