My ******* move of the week.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppinburgh

Reaction score
Legged a batch the other day. With the temps here in N.H. Still pretty cold I put the keg outside to chill before putting it in the kegerator to carb. Unfortunately I forgot all about it and left it out overnight. When I remembered the next morning it was pretty close to frozen solid. Any insight on what this might impart on my beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Legged a batch the other day. With the temps here in N.H. Still pretty cold I put the keg outside to chill before putting it in the kegerator to carb. Unfortunately I forgot all about it and left it out overnight. When I remembered the next morning it was pretty close to frozen solid. Any insight on what this might impart on my beer?

No problem if it was mostly yeast-less, which is likely if you're kegging. I've frozen many kegs due to my own stupidity.

Sweet! SWMBO loves this beer!!! I'd be up the creek if I messed it up! Lol

partially thaw it and pressure transfer to another keg... its called freeze concentrating (and is legal before anybody jumps on that train). That's how those weirdos at BrewDogs make 55% beers or whatever they're up to now.

Yikes! So it's going to up the ABV?

Only the thawed part if and when leaving the frozen part behind as BadWolf indicated (which will be now weak....water freezes before alcohol, so by freeze concentrating, you're straining off a higher alcohol concentration of liquid)...if you leave it all together to thaw, it'll be the same abv as prior to freezing. Sounds interesting, but I couldn't be bothered with the process, personally....let it all thaw and continue with business as usual

Only the thawed part if and when leaving the frozen part behind as BadWolf indicated (which will be now weak....water freezes before alcohol, so by freeze concentrating, you're straining off a higher alcohol concentration of liquid)...if you leave it all together to thaw, it'll be the same abv as prior to freezing. Sounds interesting, but I couldn't be bothered with the process, personally....let it all thaw and continue with business as usual

Cool! Thanks guys!

freeze concentration is usually done 'during' the freeze... when the water separates readily. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure if it will work going the other way.

I seem to remember a thread where a guy did it though. He poured beer into a bowl and froze it solid. Then, he upended the frozen bowl into a funnel and let it collect as it thawed. The 'first runnings' were fairly concentrated, I think, while the last runnings were weaker. I think he did this with a stalled stout, where he wanted to reduce the ABV of part of the batch to restart its fermentation, and then blend in with the stronger stuff.

Back