My kit comes with 2cans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippinLt

Reaction score
Do I use both cans in one batch? Isn't that a lot of extract to use? I'm Not sure If it's hopped I'll have to check

Are 3.3 lbs ea? Most of the kits I buy will come with a 3.3 lb can of LME and then 3-5 lbs of DME depending on what you are brewing. What are you brewing?

If it has generic instructions like "Take off heat and put in Liquid Malt Extract" and it doesn't specify the # of containers or weight, then it usually means the whole thing. One of the kits I had just said "Take of heat and put in extract" which meant both LME and DME.

One pound of Liquid malt extract would give you 36 points in one gallon of water. You would have a SG of 1.036 with one pound of LME in 1G of water.

Two cans of LME are 6.6 pounds. Since one pound = 36 points, you have 238 points.

In on gallon of water, this would be a 1.238 SG.

I dilute the 238 points in five gallons of water and the specific gravity is 1.048

If this fermented out to 1.010 FG, then you would have a 5% ABV beer.

I would definitely use both cans. Otherwise, you beer will have a SG of 1.024 which is way to low for every style out there.

I recently used a Brewer's Best Robust Porter ingredient kit that came with 2 3.3.b cans of Liquid Malt Extract (6.6 lbs total). The instructions specifically said to add ALL the LME included. So, I added both cans and the brew seems to be going fine.

If you have a prepackaged ingredient kit, I'd add both cans.

I believe it's a brewers best California light ale. It is a kit so I'm sure it's meant for one batch. Thanks

The kit didn't come with instructions/a recipe that tells you to use the extrat and when to add hops???

If it comes with it you use it. Brewer's best kits have to cans. That is equivalent to 6.6 pounds of extract. Which is an average sized beer. The more grain or extract you use the higher the gravity of the beer.

The kit was opened (bought it off a neighbor who received it as a gift) and everything is there except for paperwork. I did notice a date that said 2006.. I hope this is OK but I'm gonna go ahead and brew it. Everything's sealed so I assume it will be fine.

Old extract can be darker in color than expected.

Old extract can give a cidery flavor.

Hops can lose flavoring and bittering.

Yeast can be dead.

Yeast is what I would be the most worried about.

when is extract considered old? a year, 5 years, 10... please say 10.

ill get new yeast

Back