My Journey To 20 Gallons and Beyond

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimpdx

Renaissance Man
Reaction score
(the links are to Dropbox photos and product pages as appropriate)

I finally got my system locked in earlier this year. Two 15.5 gallon keggles (mash and boil), a 9 gallon cooler for sparge water (HLT), one propane burner and a cross-flow chiller. I found my mash limit (36 pounds of grain) and managed to squeeze out two beers over 10% ABV, both of which won medals at my first competitions, and used extra DME/LME to hit higher gravities. Using BeerSmith, I was getting pretty consistent efficiency in the low 70s.

Then after adding two 10 gallon oak/spirit barrels and corny keg equipment, I discovered that my now standard 10 gallon batches (8-9 at bottling) were not giving me enough end product after bottling for friends, entering competitions, pouring for "people's choice" and drinking ourselves. I have also started to make some "base" beers I can sour and age in various ways for blending down the road.

Then around Thanksgiving I found an amazing deal on a 41 gallon steel pot for $199, which set this upgrade in motion. My LHBS added a ball valve and a dip tube made by bending a standard steel racking cane, which costs an extra $75 or so. I picked up restaurant grade stainless steel scrubbers (less than $1 each) to place around the dip tube as a filter, as I have heard others doing this successfully instead of expensive false bottoms. Having wanted a second burner for a while, I settled on the low-profile Bayou Classic KAB6 which thanks to Amazon Prime, arrived two days later ready to use. Aside from putting out a ton of heat, the burner supports up to 160 quart stainless stockpots.

I was not interested in doing back-to-back mash and sparge cycles to get enough wort for a larger batch. My brewday is long enough as is! Conveniently we had a 120 quart Igloo cooler (ours is 12 years old) which keeps ice cold for 5 days, which should good enough to keep mash at temp. I decided to add another 1/2" ball valve with rubber gaskets threaded onto a 3" brass nipple, and brought over my bazooka screen (and coupler) from my original boil kettle, which will now serve as my HLT. Having used a false bottom in my keggle, I knew this would be a big change in process, not to mention the jump back to infusion vs temperature mashing!

Next, I started thinking about what my options were beyond 5 and 6 gallon glass fermenters. Large stainless steel fermenters were out of the question and I started exploring HDPE (plastic). I considered the Ss half-barrel chronical but felt that even 17.5 gallon fermenter was too small, as my mash tun and boil kettle can produce much more wort. Almost immediately I found the Spiedel 120L (31.7 gallon) HDPE fermenter on sale and pulled the trigger on it.

So today I finally got to put this new configuration to work. I planned a 20 gallon batch of Belgian Page Ale in BeerSmith (recipe), guessing at the overall efficiency, evaporation rate, specific heat of the cooler and deadspace. I knew this was a ton of variables to work with but wanted to get a feel for how the process went.

BeerSmith calculated a strike temp of 170 which seemed about right to hit a mash temp of 152. After a few minutes doughing in and stirring with the help of my wife, the mash settled at 147 (uh-oh, time to improvise). I calculated an intermediate infusion mash step to try and hit my target temp. Having not heated up extra water, it took me 15 minutes before I had 7 quarts (1.75g) up to 185 degrees and ready to add to the mash. The remaining 45 minutes mashed at 153 degrees. A quick iodine test confirmed that the conversion was complete. It took another 15 minutes beyond the end of my mash before I could add the mash out infusion (15 gallons at 190). The water should probably have been over 200 and I think I miscalculated. Oh well.

The sparge water was up to temp and I fly sparged as usual, though I was nowhere near the target of 168. I greatly underestimated the deadspace and/or grain absorption as I came 2 gallons shy of my pre-boil volume and 5 points below my target pre-boil gravity! I think I can solve those problems by lowering my total efficiency and adding 2 gallons of tun deadspace to my equipment profile. The 90 minute boil revealed a shocking 3 gallon/hour boil-off (I had guessed half as much) so although my mash efficiency was low, I made up for it by over reducing my wort. I had been hoping for 20 gallons into my new fermenter at 1.060 and got just shy of 16 gallons at 1.064. A quick gallon of cold distilled water brought the OG down to 1.060 and helped get me to pitch temperature faster, much better than waiting 4 or 5 hours for it to cool off. I pitched a giant starter (slurry only) from 4 packs of Wyeast Belgian Schelde which theoretically grew to just over a trillion cells. I used this yeast because it has a lower starting temp range (60 vs 65) and is one of their "private collection" strains available through the end of this month. Thankfully my O2 tank has a long enough tube to reach the wort through the top opening of the fermenter so I oxygenated for 90 seconds and "rocked" it enough to get a big splash or two. At over 120 pounds, this fermenter doesn't move around easily!

If anyone has advice on further tweaks I should make in respect to the cooler mashing and overall efficiency, I would love to hear it! I'm hoping to not lose considerable quality by introducing two new plastic components into my "brewhouse". Hopefully I can get it "dialed in" within 4 or 5 batches so I can scale up my previously successful recipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one idea for the cooler would be to build a copper manifold rather than using a bazooka screen. You can use 1/2" copper tubes assembled to fit the bottom of your mlt, then cut little slits in the tubes (take it apart to make the cuts). This will help spread out wort collection which should reduce channeling and improve overall efficiency. You should put the slits on the bottom as this prevents grain compression on them that might otherwise lead to clogging. With this all the way on the bottom of your mlt you will also reduce your dead space.
This is a cost effective way to achieve a result very similar to a false bottom. I use one in my 10g cooler, it drains smooth and fast, I run a RIMS system. I have my copper tubes joined together with elbows and T's then I took copper wire and wrapped it around the whole thing. There is no adhesive or solder and I can easily disassemble the entire thing.
It sounds like you have quite the system on your hands. Good luck with the experiments.

Thanks bbrim. My neighbor was suggesting the same thing yesterday. I figure that basic copper tubing is fairly cheap so I will probably experiment with this. Heading to the hardware store today. Also thinking of building a similar sparge device that can sit atop the cooler since my oil copper coil doesn't distribute the sparge water evenly. Could you post a photo of how you connect this manifold to your ball valve? I have a 1/2" brass nipple on each side.

I'll see if I can dig up a photo. It's just a short piece of plastic/silicone tube that hooks to a hose barb coming into the MLT and then to a T in the middle of the manifold.

I don't have any photos of my manifold. I need to replace some parts in my rims tube, they are due to be here on Monday. When I pull things out for that I will take a couple pictures if you haven't already figured it out.

I saw some other photos and noticed a copper attachment which seemed to convert to a 1/2" nipple so I'll look for that.

That looks good. It's a compression fitting. I struggle getting this set because you need a clean cut on the end of your pipe. It should be simple if you attach it to a T because you won't need to cut it. I think a manifold will be a great improvement.

Back