My IPA is not juicy enough.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPBeer

Reaction score
3loU1pc.png

I'm trying to brew a nice, juicy IPA. I set the water chemical, got a nice FG, but still my beer is bland and boring. I want that sweet juicy flavor when the beer touches my tongue. Here's my brewing schedule.

• 15% wheat and a bit of crystal 10L.
  • 8oz hops. 0.5 oz for bittering, 2oz whirlpool, 5.5oz dh.
  • fg 1.019, yeast is S-04. I like the soft tastness this yeast gives.
  • Bottled with priming sugar shooting for 2.6V CO2
I'm trying to brew my 3rd batch, with 10oz hops. 3.5oz Whirlpool, 6oz DH. Will raise the alcohol from 5.x to 7% to boost the flavor. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

What are the hops? I'm also assuming that you're using something as the base malt because what you've got listed (15% wheat and a bit of crystal 10) does not a full grain bill make. Depending on what hop you are using, I would suggest some late boil additions as well, maybe at 15, 10, and 5 minutes.

Describe bland and boring. No body, watery, too light, etc. I'd ditch those bittering hops and stick to late additions and whirlpool.

15% wheat and a bit of crystal 10L.

I'm presuming (hoping) that you didn't post your full grain bill.
You say 15% wheat. What else?
You can hop the beegezzus outta anything, but without the grains to give you body, you'll just have that bland, boring hop water that you're describing.......

Jeeze, he said the wheat was 15%, so I think you're safe in assuming he used 85% base malt of some kind :drunk:
I've used basic 2-row, pilsner, Golden Promise and Marris Otter, and frankly while I have my favorite (GP, hands down) neipas are not about the grain. All of those came out so close I doubt I could reliably tell them apart.

It's all about the hops...and the water...and the yeast....

Cheers!

Sorry, I'm using 2-row as a base. I want to try Golden Promise but I can't get it in my country so...

Describe bland and boring. No body, watery, too light, etc. I'd ditch those bittering hops and stick to late additions and whirlpool.

There isn't any sweetness, nor sharp bitterness so the flavor is almost like just drinking a carbonated water. Well, the body is thicker than that and it's pretty smooth, so it's not about the body or wateriness. Also I get some weird aftertaste at the finish.

What are the hops? I'm also assuming that you're using something as the base malt because what you've got listed (15% wheat and a bit of crystal 10) does not a full grain bill make. Depending on what hop you are using, I would suggest some late boil additions as well, maybe at 15, 10, and 5 minutes.

The hop is Citra only with a touch of columbus. I've heard that boiling addition doesn't do much so I'm trying to stick to a simple hop schedule. Do you think that late addition can add some flavor to my beer?

Ive brewed this style quite a bit. Water and yeast are very important. And a ton of hops. I do a minimum of 12 oz in a 5 gallon batch - usually 2 oz at 5 minutes left, then 4-6 in the whirlpool at about 165F, and 6-8 oz in the dry hop, usually split in two. First addition goes in after about 2 days post yeast pitch, then the other two days before cold crashing.

For water, shoot for high chloride while minimizing sulfate. My last batch got good results at 160ppm chloride and 40ppm sulfate. Also, minimizing calcium will help with the haziness. Try using potassium chloride instead of calcium chloride. Keep the calcium below 40 if possible. Skip any kettle finings.

I've gotten good results using the Conan strain, London Ale III, Omegas Tropical IPA and passable results with S04. I'm wanting to eventually try 1335 and 1450 to see what they can bring to the table.

One last suggestion. Try using some Weyermans Carafoam in place of wheat or oats, at 15-20%. Briess Carapils is not a suitable replacement.

[...]The hop is Citra only with a touch of columbus. I've heard that boiling addition doesn't do much so I'm trying to stick to a simple hop schedule. Do you think that late addition can add some flavor to my beer?

fwiw, I'm pretty much in @Staylow's camp on hop schedules, but 10 gallon batches with 24 ounces of hops for neipas. I do use a 60 minute bittering addition - usually 1 ounce of CTZ - I like the bite in my ipas - then 3 ounces at 5 minutes, and 6 ounces in a 170°F whirlpool for 20 minutes before chilling. Then 6 ounces 24-48 hours post pitch, and another 6 ounces four days later, sitting for four days on a free rise to 68°F before crashing for two days then kegging.

It's a crap ton of hops. If you're not buying by the pound, there will be pain...

Cheers!

Your gravity is a little high, my neipas tend to finish 1012-14. Can you get your hands on a Conan strand of liquid yeast or a London ale as mentioned above? I agree with the others, but tend to shy away from the bittering hops in the boil. If I add anything for bittering it’s .5 oz FWH. The one I brewed last week only had whirlpool and dry hops added to hit. Have yet to taste it carbonated maybe tomorrow night.

Last edited:
So here is my next plan...
  • 11lb 2-row
  • 2lb Wheat
  • 0.5lb C10
  • 0.4lb Acidulated
  • 2oz Galaxy (5min)
  • 2.5oz Galaxy (Whirlpool)
  • 5.5oz Galaxy DH (3days after fermentation)
  • Dry Hop for 5~7 days then cold crash for 5~7 days.
Your gravity is a little high, my neipas tend to finish 1012-14. Can you get your hands on a Conan strand of liquid yeast or a London ale as mentioned above? I agree with the others, but tend to shy away from the bittering hops in the boil. If I add anything for bittering it’s .5 oz FWH. The one I brewed last week only had whirlpool and dry hops added to hit. Have yet to taste it carbonated maybe tomorrow night.

Yeah I can only get White Laps and Safale... going to try and compare WLP English strains and see what fits the best for me. Though that high fg doesn't really give me that juicy sweetness...

More hops never hurts, dry hop 2 days after brewing, then again at a week. If you keg I'd put hops in the keg. I usually go for around 20 ibus of a first wort hop. Then nothing till flame out. Then more when the temp is down to 180 degrees. stir the hell out of the hops the entire time. I leave the wort chiller off till im at 150 degrees. stirring the entire time. I have a hop spider.

I use a pound of hops per 5 gallons.

Back