my hydrometer only goes to 1040

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theninja

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a noob from Sydney. Long time reader first time writer. This site has answered so many questions. It has stop me lifting the lid, swirling, re pitching and just to stop worrying and leave it alone. (my mother use to tell me the same thing)

So far I have laid down 6 different brews (all coopers for the moment) and have just put down a double batch of coopers European larger.

My question is how do I work out the original gravity when my hydrometer only goes to 1040 (yes I will buy another one eventually) but I want to know now.

I used
2 cans of European Larger.
2Kg of brew enhancer 2
1kg of Brigalow Malt extract
Filled to 44 litres

temperature on pitching 19 degrees Celsius.

What will it attenuate to?

I have looked at the trial version of Beer smith but it doesn't have the coopers extracts in there or the Brew Enhancer 2 (not that I can see).

Beer smith doesn't really look that user friendly too my eye anyway. Is there something out there that has the extracts and what not but can also do the All Grains. Eventually I will do the All Grain when I have a good base stock.

Oh and yes letting them condition for more then 4 weeks makes the beer that much better. can't wait to try them after 8 weeks.

Kind Regards

Is there a way to add a predetermined amount of distilled water to dilute the sample to under 1040 so you can work out the actual gravity?

As far as I know software won't have gravity readings for LME, but I don't know for sure.

Attenuation depends on the amount of fermentable sugar and the health/amount of the yeast when pitching as well as the type of yeast used.

if you dilute the wort 50/50 with regular water (doesnt have to be distilled the ddifference between tap water and distilled water will not be apparant to your naked eye on a hydrometer, the results will be close enough) and just double the resulting gravity (the part after the decimal point), and you will have your gravity. aka 50/50 mix read 1.026 your actual gravity undiluted will be 1.052

since you have already pitched try typing your recipe into hopville very user friendly free to use and it will give you an estimated starting gravity range.
http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

hope this helps. E

Hey guys thank you for the response. I wasn't been rude, I burnt the **** out of my hand. I'll post some pics if anyone wants to see.
Anyway my next noob question. Immersion chillers and cooling the pot in a water bath work but why don't you just chuck a bag of ice into the fermenter as you'll need the water anyway. I have done this with my last to beers. They fermented perfectly. I am yet to taste the product. Fingers crossed.

Hey guys thank you for the response. I wasn't been rude, I burnt the **** out of my hand. I'll post some pics if anyone wants to see.

burns are no fun I hope your hand is alright. I have experienced a 3rd degree burn on my chest it was a long 8 months of healing.

I wouldn't use commercial ice in my wort, nor would I use ice made in open trays, there is too much chance of contamination. if you wanted to use ice you can freeze boiled water in freezer bags (leave enough slack in the bag for expansion so the bag doesnt burst) then when you are ready to chill just peel the ice out of the bag. honestly its just easier to use a chiller. you can build a cheap four or 5 coil chiller for about 40$ I build one for about $20 because I already had some of the stuff on hand.
here is a link to my chiller on my local brew club forum.
http://centralstreetfarmhouse.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,45.msg423.html#new

Latest posts

Back