My hops survived Fay!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badun

Reaction score
Tropical Storm Fay made its way through my city over the past few days and I'm happy to say all my hops made it safely through. My setup consists of metal conduit that's 10 feet high and approx. 8 feet across. It's not anchored, just pounded into the ground. I did, however, tie it off to a metal fence behind my house and then to a storage shed. Plants were blown around pretty good, but the cones (1st year Perle and Cascade) stayed intact. Fortunately I had them in pots this year because the surrounding ground was flooded! :mug:

NICE! I haven't gotten much rain at all from Fay just a lil wind. I swear someone wants this county to run dry. How is everything else there?

I think i need to disassemble my trellis and glue it together when ii finish it so that strong winds cant take it apart as easily. My trellis is about 2 feet underground and currently max of 5 feet high above ground.

My trellis held together fine. My sisal drop lines got all torn up. Next year I am going to use something stronger. Maybe something synthetic.

Good to hear. The last big wind storm here was in the winter of 2006. Lost 20-25 Douglas Fir, but the hops were dormant.

my hops survived but my rope broke. We are still getting rain from it and some wind and we expect to get it for another 2 days but then i'll have to string it back up. first year centennial that is about 12 foot tall. should be fun to tie back up.

It helps that the woods behind my house and my storage shed act as wind breaks. Next year I'm raising the trellis up to 14 feet so I may not be so lucky going forward. I did notice that all my supporting strings for the trellis were literally blown away so I'll need to switch to something stronger next year or anchor the conduit with cement.

Latest posts

Back