My hefeweizen tastes like corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinmanvanian

Reaction score
Help! My hefeweizen tastes more like corn than banana and cloves. I've run into a few hefeweizens that tasted that way but it was not a desired flavor. I don't know what causes this and is it an off- flavor?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds like DMS. Most likely caused by slow cooling of wort after boil or possibly covering your wort with a lid during boil.

Can you describe your boil and cooling process?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The first thing people would suspect is that you didn't get a good boil. DMS can also form if you don't cool the wort soon after your boil. If not either of those then it is more than likely infected. I had this happen to a Munich Helles last year. A real bummer

If the grist included very pale malt like Pils malt, then it is important to boil for an extended time to drive off the SMM which is the precursor to DMS. 90 minutes is often sufficient. Quickly cooling the freshly boiled wort is also helpful in reducing DMS production.

Back