My HB gives me bad hangovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RM-MN is right on...
I am guessing that you make higher gravity beers (over 5%) and drink them in copious quantities? Also, you aren't making beer from potato skins or banana peels are you?

Bad hangovers are usually associated with trace amounts in methanol from fermentations.....

Yeah but I only had like 5 of them and they are around 4.5 %abv

Fermenting too hot will give you a beer high in fusel alcohols which could lead to hangovers.

You may be used to lower alcohol beers. I think most BMC (budweiser, miller, coors) beers have a lower alcohol content.

Try drinking fewer of them = problem solved. (unless it is a fusel alcohol problem) even then fewer would help.

Im leaning towards high ferm temps cause I'm used to drinking much higher abv beers usually I always have at least one double bastard in the fridge

Instead of the high temp, why not go with higher OG, more attenuative yeast strain? Trying to eke more ethanol out of a given recipe designed for lower ABV than you want probably doesn't yield the best results not just in terms of fusels but overall flavor profile. Often when reviewing, revising or developing a recipe I actually try to reduce ABV so that I can enjoy more but still walk & chew gum at the same time. :)

High levels of fusel alcohols can give you nasty headaches even if you only drink a couple in an evening and don't drink too much. High fermentation temperatures creates a lot of the higher fusel alcohols. What do you use to control temperature and ensure you are not fermenting too high?

Honestly I have nothing for temp control my first batch was a me beer American light I just out the fermenting vessel inside one of the cabinets on the kitchen and this batch was a 5 gallon porter kit from true brew I fermented in a bucket and I just out put that away in my closet in my room since it's the only place I had space and was cool enough my room is always pretty cold the beer itself taste pretty darn good with the only exception of what I assume is that twang flavor people speak of

I don't agree. Fusel alcohols may or may not be to blame. I think the major blame for a hangover is high sugar content, high tannin content and anything else that is going to pull water from your body. I can drink wine and not have a hangover and then triply distilled vodka and have a major one.

The MAJOR contributor to hangover is water retention and aldehydes. Aldehydes can't be avoided, as oxidizes to ethanal, or ethyl aldehyde.

As others have pointed out - taking antioxidants with water (vitamin B / C) before bed will remove hangovers. This is because they remove the oxidants - aldehydes.

I had the same problem before I was able to control my fermentation temps, likely from the fusel alcohols. I've noticed a huge difference since I bought an old refrigerator and installed a temp control to regulate fermentation.

Is the "twang" flavor like a rocket fuel or rubbing alcohol flavor/smell? I'm in agreement that it sounds like fusels may be to blame. Knowing more about what you are tasting and smelling could help pinpoint that.

Honestly I have nothing for temp control my first batch was a me beer American light I just out the fermenting vessel inside one of the cabinets on the kitchen and this batch was a 5 gallon porter kit from true brew I fermented in a bucket and I just out put that away in my closet in my room since it's the only place I had space and was cool enough my room is always pretty cold the beer itself taste pretty darn good with the only exception of what I assume is that twang flavor people speak of

Well for starters, control your fermentation temps.

Judging by your inability to use proper punctuation, maybe you're not actually old enough to drink beer? Wait a few more years and try it again, you might like it.

Oh, or what others said.

Is the "twang" flavor like a rocket fuel or rubbing alcohol flavor/smell? I'm in agreement that it sounds like fusels may be to blame. Knowing more about what you are tasting and smelling could help pinpoint that.

Theres no off flavors it tastes just like a porter should taste like it's just this odd flavor in the finish but nothing close to rubbing alcohol

Back