My guitar teacher thinks I'm the village idiot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What guitar did you get? What type of strings?

I'd like to see a pic, and I'm sure that there are a few who would like to see how short and fat those sausages are.

The $129.99 one. The strings are long, skinny and really hard on your fingertips.

The only person to whom I'll show my sausage is Yoop, and then only if she promises to not mention how short it is... She can talk all night about how fat it is if she likes.

PTN

I’m baaaaaack. That’s right, hide da wimins n chillin, we’re gettin the band back together.

Something had to give while I was in grad school, I just didn’t have the time, so the music lessons were it.

I strolled into the music store on Saturday and booked myself for lessons again, my first one is tonight after work. I hope I remember something. Anything. The strings face away from my body, right?
IMG_1571.jpg

Glad you are getting back at it, check out the guitar thread, there are a lot of fine players and i have personally offered many tips for beginners. My undergraduate degree is in jazz guitar playing essentially.

I’m baaaaaack. That’s right, hide da wimins n chillin, we’re gettin the band back together.

Something had to give while I was in grad school, I just didn’t have the time, so the music lessons were it.

I strolled into the music store on Saturday and booked myself for lessons again, my first one is tonight after work. I hope I remember something. Anything. The strings face away from my body, right? View attachment 565724

Hey, is that my driver bit in that armrest ??? :goat:

I've been trying to teach myself guitar. I can pick a tune fine but I can't play a chord to save my life. No matter what I do, one of my fingers is always touching a string it shouldn't.

I'd say it is impossible but a friend of mine has the biggest hands I have ever seen. People cringe just thinking about shaking his hand. And he plays guitar just fine...

I have pretty small hands, and I found the "stretch" between some strings when playing certain chords a little tough. But I didn't really have too many problems. I just sucked, and it wasn't because of my hands. I just have absolutely no singing voice or rhythm at all.

If you can learn the chords to Kumbaya you'll be a hit around the campfire.

Great...give him a song that no one knows the words to...

Just stick with it. Just remember how many times you fell down before you learned how to walk...

I've been playing since 1971. I've been in a couple of bar bands too. And at 63, I play every day. I keep at it by challenging myself to learn at least 1 new song a week.

There are tons of lessons on YouTube if you're confused about something. Or, if you're in the mood for more friendly abuse...we're always here to help.

Last edited:
Lots of great stuff here, would really like to see some of the questions being asked put on the guitar thread. It's a great time to learn to play guitar with videos and tutorials on how to play pretty much any song.

The other day I felt like learning Master of Puppets and I was pretty easily playing the intro after a couple pass-throughs. It was a good reminder that if you learn to play the instrument you learn to play every song. If you learn to play a song, you learn only that song. I know there is some debate around this and there is nothing wrong with learning songs and or starting by learning a favorite song. As long as you're holding the instrument you're doing it right. A problem I ran into is that I know the chords to 500 songs but I can't sing one of them. This makes all of the songs worthless to me. I'm a strong advocate in learning to sing right away.

Little story about that. I was in college and working really hard to cord solo my one and only love. Man I got up at this party and played it perfectly note-for-note. This kid knew 3 chords and a song everybody knew and showed me up. I thought Dang if you know three chords and can sing, you can entertain. Sing every note you play and sing every chord you play.

Lots of great stuff here...to learn to play guitar with videos and tutorials on how to play pretty much any song.

A problem I ran into is that I know the chords to 500 songs but I can't sing one of them. This makes all of the songs worthless to me. I'm a strong advocate in learning to sing right away.

Little story about that. I was in college and working really hard to cord solo my one and only love. Man I got up at this party and played it perfectly note-for-note. This kid knew 3 chords and a song everybody knew and showed me up. I thought Dang if you know three chords and can sing, you can entertain. Sing every note you play and sing every chord you play.

Check out this guy's tutorials. Singing vowels was an eye (ear) opener for me.

I still can't sing even after a singing course in college (circa 1981), which I got a B in. I hear the singers voice in my head, but it's not the same sound that comes out of my pie hole. HA!

Sweet, yay mama she got em red hot, yes she got them for sale. Impressed you know who that is. Was listening to the box set last month. Its been a long time. Sounds like it didnt go to bad then ?

@hb99 thanks for that video. I think i came across him googling how to sing videos once before. I really liked that one. I got a ps2 game at goodwill called karaoke revolution and they had the usb mic there. That is my new plan, figure its good practice.

The most frustrating part of learning guitar for me was muscle memory. My brain knew what to do but my arms and fingers just wouldn't do that. And then there's rhythm... I wanted to smash the guitar over whoes ever head was counting 1-2-3-4 or snapping their fingers or stomping their feet or whatever to "keep" me in rhythm. That never worked. Did they think I forgot how to count?

It probably took around 100 hours of practice before I could successfully change chords on time. And another 100 hours before I could sing and strum at the same time.

But when I broke that barrier I played 3-4 hours everyday for years...

Now I just brew. My expensive Santa Cruz just sits collecting dust as sip back another homebrew.

Last edited:
hb99 thanks for that video. I think i came across him googling how to sing videos once before. I really liked that one. I got a ps2 game at goodwill called karaoke revolution and they had the usb mic there. That is my new plan, figure its good practice.

You're welcome. I used that video so you'd also see his other videos as well as other people's stuff. I like viewing things like that.

If I think I might use it again I'll just bookmark it. Once bookmarked you can right click on the link, select properties and rename it to keep subjects or people together.

I've been trying to teach myself guitar. I can pick a tune fine but I can't play a chord to save my life. No matter what I do, one of my fingers is always touching a string it shouldn't.

Try a Baritone Ukulele. Its the same as the guitar except only 4 stings, the neck is narrow and the body of the instrument is small. You'll be playing all kinds of fancy jazz chords before you know it, and you can transfer what you learn to regular guitar. I've been playing guitar for 35+ years but I pick up my baritone uke when I just want to relax and play a few tunes. The main thing is to have fun, if playing an instrument is a chore, you'll soon grow tired of it.

For maybe a little more than the price of one lesson at the music store, you can learn Robert Johnson from a real master of the style:

Apple, why would you be surprised I know Robert Johnson? I've been listening to the blues for almost sixty years. My fingers might not know the blues but my ears are intimate with 'em.
Thats the right way, follow your ears. Your hands will need time, but follow your ears. Need to ask, your profile says you are 59, so 60 years of blues listening is pretty impressive. Were your parents rockers? Are you counting pre birth. If so right on. My parents were the real deal born and raised sf deadheads so i guess that i have been listening to the dead for 42 years. Cool you love the blues, i do too. That kind of syncopation is usually difficult for beginners. Sadly, i wouldn't go assuming that everyone around here is familiar with Robert johnsons music, especially the younger. That video above seems awesome. This new era of guitar learning is amazeballs. I am so glad this thread has rekindled some guitar talk.

Last edited:
Wow, thats pretty cool. You probably partied with my family somewhere along the way. Along with many of my friends. I met a lot of dead heads in lincoln, ne at a phish show the first one after jerry passed. That was a good time. Hope you are playing some dead tunes.

Back