My friends don't care for my homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I give my father in law a taste on my beer he will always say "I'll try it, but i won't like it".....Then he goes on about how beer should always taste like American beer always tasted.

He is an *******.

There is no changing these people, just a remedy. This is the reason there is such a strong pro-gun lobby in the US ;)

Never understand "pounding" beer to get tanked. Just drink liquor. It's cheaper, stronger, and has less calories. Drink beer to keep it mild and wild. I can't even imagine being physically able to consume enough beer to get "tanked" and for me that would be 4 or 5 of them.

Different strokes for different folks. It was a college thing what can I say? I'm starting to out grow it but old habits and all that. Not to mention I'm not a liquor guy, it just doesn't mesh with me.

We do push the idea of not liking beer as ignorance around here, I think it's the natural defense to being jumped on as snobs every time we order a non BMC. I'd like to be out with friends and not feel weird ordering a good beer, but I know as soon as I order it, there will be at least one comment from someone about, oohhh the fancy stuff, or Can't just drink the normal can you, or something along those lines.

This is not an excuse to push the ignorance label though. Some people just don't think of beer in the same way. They don't see it as a beverage, they see it as alcohol.

I don't see this as sign of ignorance, I see it as sign of immaturity.

He was making the point that a lot of people drink BMC strictly for the alcohol.

A lot of people drink BEER for the alcohol, and a lot of them are on here.

How many threads do we see a day that are "how do I increase the ABV?" of "I pick beers out at the package store by ABV?"

A lot of people drink BEER for the alcohol, and a lot of them are on here.

How many threads do we see a day that are "how do I increase the ABV?" of "I pick beers out at the package store by ABV?"

OK, so what's your point?

They are at a different point in their lives. In all likelihood they are not taking the time (or don't have the time) to enjoy the good moments in life.

We are all ambassadors of good beer and food. It sounds like you are a bit more experienced than you friends. Some will never come around and some never change. ...
Exactly. Most of my friends have come to appreciate good beer at about the same rate I have, so they like my beer and that makes me happy. If I have a gathering, they are there primarily for the beer!:D My wife loves my beer, too, but not so her daughter or some of her female friends. No big deal, that's just how it goes.

You can try to brew a Cream Ale, Cali Common, Bitter or similar light pale ale and see if they go for it. If so, you may have a shot at converting them. Mostly, just remember to brew for yourself.

Of, they just don't like that type of beer. Why do people always try to make this about being "classy" or "sophisticated" or "mature"? Its not. Some people just happen to like light lagers. Its not because they're cavemen.

sure it is.

To add.... the days when most people stop drinking (even when they don't have to get up to go to work) is when they look at themselves in the mirror and add up all those calories from all those supposedly "light beers". Soon enough people realize they would rather have relax with something that has flavor... which includes classy Pilsners and not BMC. Or they go the other direction and start drinking vodka tonics with a lime (i shameful but I DO like them ;)

You are right though... some people are just BMC nazis. However most of the folks I know that drink primarily BMC by and large fit into one of several categories:

1) They were responsible for getting beer for the party/game/show and didn't want to spend the money on good beers - I have done this.
2) They still play with legos or live at mom's
3) The don't live at mom's and still play with legos (or transformers or whatever) and probably don't have a girlfriend
4) Stoners

I'm lucky. My friends enjoy the hell out of what I brew. There's one that pisses and moans about the selection sometimes, but the others give him directions to the store down the street and remind him the store has plenty of choices down there that he can pay for, and leaves them more homebrew to choose from.

I only brew what I know I like and a few for the SWMBO. I have friends that like certian styles but not others, all like beer other than BMC as weird as that is, but don't like the majority of styles I brew. However, when I do brew a style they are fond of I like to share to get there opinion. My SWMBO likes to tell people I barely know that I brew, most of them want me to give them a bottle of something. So my natural next question is, "what do you normally drink?" The usual response is BMC. Then I tell them I would be more than happy to give them a bottle or 2 of something but they should not expect it to taste like BMC. After all I tell them, if I wanted that I would buy that. They usually just say "yeah", then end up hating the beer because it is too strong, bitter, thick, dark, heavy etc. I still share with them because I am a sharing person but I never expect to get any good feedback about my beers from someone who thinks beer should be as light and inoffensive as possible. I am always shocked a little amazed when someone really likes a style or is blown away. Some have never been introduced to other, better beer. I believe that population is shrinking however with the amount of market share the craft community is now garnering. All in all, I just take it in stride. I brew for myself, because I enjoy the craft, the process and the finished product. When I start getting all worried about what other people think of my beer then that is the time to quit b/c I will no longer be brewing for my pleasure.

1) They were responsible for getting beer for the party/game/show and didn't want to spend the money on good beers - I have done this.
3) The don't live at mom's and still play with legos (or transformers or whatever) and probably don't have a girlfriend
4) Stoners

What about the 70% of the population thats drinking a coors/bud/whatever while watching the game? The joe6pack crowd?

Do they just not exist?

Don't worry about others "Opinions" so much! Like someone else said.... 2 words... F and Them.

I have great friends that love Beer and preferably not BMC or ML etc etc. They like the exotic, the different, the zest of life!

Hence, every time I stop buy and bring a few glasses over or a Growler... they are like "hey when did you brew this and with a discusted look they say, And WHY wasn't I invited over to help/try/taste while you were brewing!!!!"

I am far more picky as to style/taste/objective of the beer than they are, they are just interested in the different flavor profiles, styles and experiencing the process and results of home brewing!

However there are people that I would not even "OFFER" a home brew too. Like my Sis..... I'm sorry but anything I touch, in her eyes "JUST CAN'T BE ANY GOOD".... So I don't bother offering. There are others too that when I have a party and they ask whats to "DRINK"... I tell them "Only what you bring".... and they get the hint.. if they want a Beer, they had better bring it themself as I'm not giving them any of my HB for them to ***** about.:D

Yeah, most of my friends don't like my homebrew ... they're all flaming hopheads!:ban:

The blackberry wine was well received, though.

As others have mentioned, there could be 2 reasons:

1) they don't like the style, or strong flavors

2) your beer needs improvement

The first one is a no brainer: Save it for yourself. If your brewing skill is good, and your are brewing ales for lager-types, savor the fact that you have more beer.

The second one is a bit tougher... I have had MANY, MANY, MANY homebrews that just plain sucked, while the brewer thought it was great.

My first beers were pretty bad, and have since improved greatly. Find someone that likes/knows a style of beer, and send one to them. Get some feedback. It REALLY helped me!

Yeah, I think it's pretty funny cus you dont really know who's looking down at who? Are they looking down at you for being a snob....or are you looking down at them for not appreciating/being ignorant of other beers/styles.?

I can't think of any time when I encountered someone who looked down on me for drinking "fancy" beers but I have encountered many many homebrewers who look down on BMC drinkers as uncouth and boorish.

Yeah, most of my friends don't like my homebrew ... they're all flaming hopheads!:ban:

The blackberry wine was well received, though.

I'm having that problem to. My APA's are not hoppy enough(duh) for the hop-fanatics, and everything else isn't intense enough for the RIS/quad crowd. :D

If you enjoy your brew that is all that matters......... If your selling commercially worry about it, otherwise, enjoy the fruits of your labor my freind..........:tank:

I'm never offended when someone does not care for my homebrew, and that's especially true when that person is a BMC drinker. Different folks have different tastes, and that's the way the world is. Many of my beers are quite outside the American mainstream (as are most hombrewers'), so I often am surprised when a BMC drinker does like one of my homebrews. It has nothing to do with the quality of the person one bit, nor does it have anything to do with how good a friend that person is. I also like ridiculously runny, stinky cheese. Many persons I know do not. I do not feel they are unenlightened, or anything like that.

The guy that lives across the street from me, Joe, is a good example. He is one of the best persons I have ever known (as is his whole family). He is a hard worker and a true craftsman, having only recently closed the doors on his handmade furniture shop (at the age of 90, no less!) He loves good food, and he loves to laugh, but he does not care much for my beer. He likes Mickey's big mouths. You go, Joe!

However, I certainly do love it when I get praise and kudos on my beer. :D

TL

What about the 70% of the population thats drinking a coors/bud/whatever while watching the game? The joe6pack crowd?

Do they just not exist?

No... they don't. It was a horrible dream.

I can't think of any time when I encountered someone who looked down on me for drinking "fancy" beers but I have encountered many many homebrewers who look down on BMC drinkers as uncouth and boorish.

You will find this in any hobby. It is very possible that the same guy who loves his BMC loves Bentleys and can't understand why you would want to be driving anything else. It all comes around. I am guilty as charged... but this is why I got into the hobby. I enjoy and understand great beers and I have given up trying to see life from everyone elses perspective... leave that to liberal college kids. I simply do not have time nor want to waste time convicning BMC drinkers to enjoy better beer. I adhere to the axiom "you can lead a horse to water..."

The guy that lives across the street from me, Joe, is a good example. He is one of the best persons I have ever known (as is his whole family). He is a hard worker and a true craftsman, having only recently closed the doors on his handmade furniture shop (at the age of 90, no less!) He loves good food, and he loves to laugh, but he does not care much for my beer. He likes Mickey's big mouths. You go, Joe!

Heck, I've never even met the guy and, after reading this, even I like Joe!!

I always let my dad taste my beers and he always winces and says, "Man, that's bitter!" None of the beers I've given him have been particularly bitter, but it's just not what he's used to. I had a can of Oskar Blues Gordon a while back. I offered him a small sample and with one small sip he put it down with a disgusted look on his face. My mom tried it and said, "Hmm, that's pretty good!" Not at all the reaction I was expecting.

However, I've found my dad seems to like Blue Moon. So, maybe I'll brew up my first wit soon.

You will find this in any hobby. It is very possible that the same guy who loves his BMC loves Bentleys and can't understand why you would want to be driving anything else. It all comes around. I am guilty as charged... but this is why I got into the hobby. I enjoy and understand great beers and I have given up trying to see life from everyone elses perspective... leave that to liberal college kids. I simply do not have time nor want to waste time convicning BMC drinkers to enjoy better beer. I adhere to the axiom "you can lead a horse to water..."

Fully agreed.

I only brew what I know I like and a few for the SWMBO. I have friends that like certian styles but not others, all like beer other than BMC as weird as that is, but don't like the majority of styles I brew. However, when I do brew a style they are fond of I like to share to get there opinion. My SWMBO likes to tell people I barely know that I brew, most of them want me to give them a bottle of something. So my natural next question is, "what do you normally drink?" The usual response is BMC. Then I tell them I would be more than happy to give them a bottle or 2 of something but they should not expect it to taste like BMC. After all I tell them, if I wanted that I would buy that. They usually just say "yeah", then end up hating the beer because it is too strong, bitter, thick, dark, heavy etc. I still share with them because I am a sharing person but I never expect to get any good feedback about my beers from someone who thinks beer should be as light and inoffensive as possible. I am always shocked a little amazed when someone really likes a style or is blown away. Some have never been introduced to other, better beer. I believe that population is shrinking however with the amount of market share the craft community is now garnering. All in all, I just take it in stride. I brew for myself, because I enjoy the craft, the process and the finished product. When I start getting all worried about what other people think of my beer then that is the time to quit b/c I will no longer be brewing for my pleasure.

This about sums it up for me also.
I live in a wasteland of beer so I don't get much beyond BMC here anyway.
Most people haven't had the chance to drink brews other then BMC on a commercial scale. Most people equate homebrew with cider tasting hootch from people doing a K&K brew. Bring them a nice amber brew ( let alone a stout or porter ) and they'll turn up their nose and say I don't like the dark thick beers.
As for me likeing BMC.... bring it on. I love the stuff as well as I do a stout, APA, IPA, Porter, or any other brew out there. Sure there are some I don't care for, but I would certainly drink one if offered, and enjoy it as something different from the norm. It's just that I wouldn't buy it.
Anyway, my 2 loonies worth :mug:

Snobbery never pays. I wrote a blog about it if you want to read a semi-entertaining and awfully amateur blog...

The way I see it is thus: 98% of BMC drinkers just haven't tried any other styles and therefore have no experience with them. The vast majority of people who drink "good" beer are snobs about it and turn off the people drinking BMC. Therefore, craft beer has this stigma of us against them. It makes no sense, but it exists.

Many BMC drinkers like craft beer but prefer to trick themselves with the calorie thing, or just really don't care about taste at all and BMC is literally cheaper than bottled water. These are the snob BMC drinkers, and there are a lot of them. They think we as craft beer drinkers are dumb for spending money on "expensive" beer. These two groups will always butt heads.

As far as HB goes. Most of it is not good. Plain and simple. Yes I know it is fun, and you like it. But how do you expect someone who does not even really like craft beers from the best breweries in the world, to open up with loving arms to your homebrew? In many cases it just doesn't work. Those you have to let go, and hope one day to brew commercial quality beer. Some people do. I hope to one day.

Personally, I live in Wisconsin where almost everyone at least likes to sample craft beer if they don't buy it for themselves. Still a lot of these people will not like my beer. Most do, I brew passable beer. But I do not brew world class beer by any stretch of my imagination. All we as homebrewers can do is brew the best we can and be good responsible ambassadors of craft beer. Unfortunately, I would say the majority of HBers and craft beer poeple are snobs about it and turn more people off than if they just kept their traps shut.

However, I've found my dad seems to like Blue Moon. So, maybe I'll brew up my first wit soon.

This is what I do. I still brew for myself, but sometimes a little compromise can lead to something bigger. Who knows, if they like your Wit, they might try something even more adventurous next go round. In fact I have Edwort Haus & a cream ale coming up shortly so that during the holidays I can enjoy it with my friends and family.

You don't need new friends, just brew a Kölsch. After three batches, I still get the same appreciative comments. I actually believe they like it :), and that's quite rewarding.

When your male friends complain about your brew, just make a batch of liquid panty-remover (wheat with sweet cherry/peach/etc, works nicely) and give it to their girlfriends. You'll have as many brew apprentices as you can handle in no time.

However most of the folks I know that drink primarily BMC by and large fit into one of several categories:

4) Stoners

The stoners group blew me out of the water. My experiences have been the exact opposite. The stoners I know all seem to dispise BMC and drink Import, Microbrew exclusively. When I break out the homebrew they are usually all over it.

The stoners group blew me out of the water. My experiences have been the exact opposite. The stoners I know all seem to dispise BMC and drink Import, Microbrew exclusively. When I break out the homebrew they are usually all over it.

I think you just nailed why I never drank BMC. Ever. Even in high school or college. I was an import, then specialty, then homebrew, then micro drinker from the very start.

And alcohol was not my first consumable, so to speak.

I can completely understand the need for people to enjoy your beer. There is nothing better than people telling you that what you brewed is good. Especially if it's a style they don't normally drink.

Ultimately you have to decide if you started brewing for them or you.

For me I brew for myself. If other people like it? Well that's great. I will give them a keg if they want. That being said I do tend to always have something that will generally be appealing to the masses.

If all else fails there is a case of coors bottles in the garage for my FIL that I can dust off for them. :)

Brew for yourself, have fun. And if a byproduct is your friends enjoying it then great. If not don't worry.

There is no changing these people, just a remedy. This is the reason there is such a strong pro-gun lobby in the US ;)

The pro-gun lobby are the people who would believe in freedom over government control.

Move to cuba or if you can transport into the past nazi germany. They have ulimate gun control and I suppose you think that is better.

Does anyone else think the title of this thread sounds like a country song?

:off: yeah, it would be great! Remember "Tears in my ears lyin on my back cryin' over you"? Dude!! that was awesome....

On topic:OP: You are lucky IMO. My brother-in-law brought someone to the brew shed and so I greeted them with a 22 Wee Heavy. Well the stranger had 2 and after a while left. Couple months later the stranger shows up with two cases of empties and wonders if I would fill them up for him..... FT

The pro-gun lobby are the people who would believe in freedom over government control.

Move to cuba or if you can transport into the past nazi germany. They have ulimate gun control and I suppose you think that is better.

Whoa, slow down there tiger. I don't think Gnome meant to offend!! :mug:

Shooter, it's not just a pretty name! :D

Don't worry about it. He's just an elitist A**, and why us microbrew drinkers have such a bad reputation as snobs. Its the typical "I'm better than you because I drink more expensive beer"

Back