my first "WOW, this is really good."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregR

Reaction score
sorry, but I just had to share this, I'm not usually one to toot my own horn.

I've been brewing for about 2-ish years now and I've never really been disappointed with any beer I've made but none of them really made me go "WOW!". there were good beers, there were very drinkable beers, but I've recently made the jump to AG after a long period of acquiring equipment as I could afford it, blah blah blah... well I recently brewed a modified Denny's Rye IPA (due to the home brew mart not having all ingredients on hand and flying by the seat of my pants) and took a lot of care that really made it outstanding. I hit my temperatures spot on but due to a greater efficiency than expected hit a higher OG and not knowing exactly my boil off rate ever so slightly under 5 gallons. so I topped off to 5 gallons and paid close attention to my pitching rate and wort temperature. during the fermentation I payed close attention to the temps and held them as consistently as I could (my only temp control is water immersion and ice bottles).

but anyway, WOW! this is the first time I can truly say this about one of my brews, but wow. an awesome recipe (modified sufficiently enough that I'm content with calling it my own (a few different malts and a big hop substitution)) but greatly inspired by Denny's recipe. I really have never been more satisfied with my results from this hobby.

Congratz! A lot of hard work and TLC are well worth it in the end, especially when you can say "I brewed this" and call it your own. :mug:

I loved Denny Conn's RyePA, one of my favorites. Next time I'm using more Rye, I love that spice.

To the OP, I had the same realization after my first AG. I made Palmer's Titabowsi Brown Ale. It was frickin' awesome!!!
:rockin:

This is why I should have stuck with extract longer. I did 2 batches extract then just didn't brew until I was able to find everything I needed for AG. Wasn't hard I just had to mooch off of parent and family for unused picnic stuff.

Anyway I love my beer, but I bet I would appreciate it even more if I had the jump after getting some experience.

Nothing like making a keg of beer that cost you <$30 that is better or as good as store bought beer that would cost 5 times that.

Sounds like your ready to send youre beers out for contests. Great Job!

I dunno about that. I feel it's really good comparatively to what I've made but I know there is still a ton of room for improvement. plus, I don't know how I feel about sending out one of my brews just to have some stranger tell me why it sucks...

this wasn't my first AG but rather my second. my first was edworts haus pale ale and it was delicious. it got a lot of compliments and my brother did his first AG right after mine and we compared the two. the were very very similar tasting so we both must have done something right with that one.

Latest posts

Back