My first wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libs

Reaction score
One of the big motivations getting into this for me is wanting to get good at wheat beers (Bells Oberon is so good I named my cat after it). Third batch is first stab at a Oberon clone. I found the basic recipe by searching here, and made a couple of adjustments with the help of friendly LHBS guy. If it's good, I will definitely post full recipe and instructions.

What's exciting is that I now have an IPA and an American wheat that are not ready (I love anticipation).

My only question is I used a heffe yeast, because there wasn't one listed with my recipe. Was this the right one to use?

Libs

That's a good question. They declare it as "an American Wheat Ale" so I am guessing it is not the right yeast. American wheat yeasts produce much less of the banana and clove, but still leave a cloudy beer. You will probably end up with a good , tasty batch but it will most likely be different in flavor than what you are trying to clone. Next time go with WLP320 to get closer (if that is indeed what you are after).

cheers!

Heffe produces a stong banana and clove flavor. You will be close but a bit off with a nice twang.

Don't worry it will not be ruined. One thing you will come to learn in this hobby is that everybatch, regardless of how well you imitated a recipe, will taste slightly different than the next. So don't anticipate a taste until you actually taste it. I suggest then and only then compare to your goal. You will undoubtebly enjoy your creation. If you have extra too, you can send me some.

Remember that there is no one homebrew that is identical to another and RDWHAHB!!

Please do post your recipe. No reason to be modest on this sight.

- WW

Back