My first total FAIL!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyB

Reaction score
So I had a DIPA brewed up a couple weeks back, 1.080 OG, 1.018 FG, tasting great and looking to be delicious once kegged and on tap. So last night I go to rack into the keg. Now a bit more info, this batch had 3oz of hops crushed up and dryhopped a few days ago. "It'll be fine", I thought. "I've got two inline filters to catch all those hop debris." So I stick my trusty siphon in and begin to pull out that decadent brew. It pulled for a few seconds, then stopped. "Huh? That's weird..." "Let me try to start this up again." So I pull back on the cane, and push it back in to discover an unnatural force pushing back against me. "Must be hops stuck on the end of the siphon." So I give it a gentle knock, and try again. Still that force pushes back at me. "What the hell?" I pull out the siphon and give it a good look over. "Maybe that little plastic piece in the end is getting clogged with hops?" I'll just push that through right quick to give it a nice, open draw." So I go to siphon again, pushes in real easy now. Too easy.. "Dammit, that piece is supposed to be there so beer can flow up the cane -_-." Well turns out you can't easily put that back.. "F@$% this!" Snap goes the siphon over my knee. I was livid at this point. "No! My poor siphon! I'm sorry baby!" "Wait! I have another better, larger siphon my neighbor gave me! :D" So I hook it up. "This bad boy will pull beer no problem!" I go to start the siphoning...and the force returns.."OK" "Now what?" "Oh, maybe it's my filters?" "They couldn't be clogged already though." After all I hadn't even pulled out a full gallon yet. But lo and behold, my smaller filter had cake building up like my grandmother's kitchen table on any given day of the year (that cake is a lot better though.) So I dump it out, sanitize, and reattach. Of course taking it off spilled some beer. "All will be well now." "Now way it'll clog again." Start my siphon and...success! Beer is flowing! For all of 5 seconds. To end this long story on a short note, (I didn't mean to type so long hah) that filter clogged over and over again. Forced me to spill beer, pump air through the beer already in the keg, and get so pissed I eventually just dumped out what was left in the fermenter. And I broke a siphon! My fault there, breathe in, breathe out... Another batch is to be racked tomorrow. Pray to God it all goes well, cause that batch is in a glass carboy...

Breathe. It happens. I lost the little red cap on my autosiphon in a carboy a few months back and had to wait until the beer finished out to retrieve it. Beer didn't suffer and even saved the yeast.

sounds rough! Good thing you have some beer to enjoy to offset those bad vibes. Haha.

I had to disassemble my auto siphon last time I kegged a beer and use my mouth to start the siphon. (Totally frowned on, I know) I didn't have the patience to try the water in the siphon line trick. The bigger outside tube in the auto siphon had a nice huge crack in it and wouldn't keep the siphon going... That keg is now kicked and I still need a new siphon.... just the way it goes.

_____ Happens when you homebrew :eek:

thumbn55ail.jpg

Still went down the drain

I brew a lot of NEIPAs with a boatload of dry hops. Siphoning was always an adventure. I've since bought a big mouth bubbler with drain port and it works great. I just open the valve with the other end draining into a bucket until I get beer with no hop matter. Hook that to my keg liquid out, hook the gas to the input on my fermentor (to prevent it from sucking in O2) and open the valve.

It fills a keg in about 5 minutes and I'm good to go.

This is why I do my dry hops in muslin bags. And use ported vessels with spigots.

Hopefully it's still delicious.

Back