My first stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackiePaper

Reaction score
I brewed a 3 gallon BIAB American Stout on 10/17/16 using US-05 yeast. Mashed at 156F. The OG was 1.063 and the hydrometer is currently reading 1.030. Tastes freaking delicious.

This was my first time using US-05 or any dry yeast at all for that matter. I actually used a starter for this brew before reading that most people don't use a starter for this yeast! I swirled the carboy this morning to try to get some additional activity out of the yeast. Any more tips other than repitching? I'll keep you updated!

Grain bill (for 3 gallon batch):
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 43.7 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.3 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.3 %
4.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.6 %
4.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 6 3.6 %
3.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.7 %
3.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8 2.7 %
2 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 9 29.1 %
0.65 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 51.2 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -
0.60 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 12 -
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]

Hmmmmm....

I use this yeast regularly. Never have problems (knock on wood). It attenuates very well. It would get down to a 1.012ish on a regular basis.

I know you asked for other suggestions but I think the only choice you have is wait it out or repitch. After nearly a month it clearly should have hit your FG by now.

Well, after a good swirling and raising the temperature to about 85*F I managed to get it down to 1.023 (corrected for temperature).

I think I'm going to bottle it here and hope for the best. It's not that far off from the 1.015 that Beersmith estimated, but I will end up shy of my intended ABV by about 1% (5.3% vs 6.3%).

So this one ended up going down the drain unfortunately. I'm still not quite sure what happened, but it ended up way too carbonated -- to the point of practically turning to foam in your mouth. Maybe bottling roused the yeast more than I could by swirling the carboy (seems unlikely) or the fermentation continued at a very slow rate that wasn't obvious by my gravity readings.

I know a lot of people swear by 05, but this one has definitely left me disappointed. At least I managed to drink a few before they were nigh bottle bombs and they tasted great!

It was 5 weeks in primary! At least it freed up a carboy, got more yeast doing it'a thing now ;)

Latest posts

Back