My first stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txtaquito

Reaction score
Just finished my first stout. I made an imperial stout and added in 1/2lb rye malt and 1lb honey. This will be interesting. I measured my OG temp adjusted to 60'F. I could'nt believe my eyes when I saw that sucker floating at 1.114. I took it out, rinsed it, put it back in and gave it a few more spins. Sure enough - 1.114. Jeez - this will be an extra chewy stout - yummy!!!

TxT

hm. can you post the recipe? that doesn't seem normal, and if nothing else i'd like to see it for curiosities sake.

imperial stout variation (partial/mini mash)

3 lb maris otter pale malt
.75lb crystal 40L
.50lb black barley
2oz chocolate
.50lb black patent
.75oz gypsum
.50 rye malt (I added this myself)

11lb dark extract
8oz malto dextrin
1lb honey (I added this myself)

2oz nugget
1oz fuggle

double pitch with london ale 1028

I steeped the grains in 2.5gal water the sparged with another 2.5 gallon water then combined. When all was done, my OG before pitching yeast was 1.114 at just a few hairs under 5 gal. I added more water to bring volume up to 5.25gal and measured again at 60'F. Final OG before pitching yeast was 1.112.

TxT

----------------------------
no need for bottles - get the wrapping paper :)
"Imperial Stout Chew"

Primary: imperial stout variation
Secondary: none
bottled: shiner bock clone
enjoying: new castle clone
planning: 60- or 90-minute IPA

Looks like an imperial stout to me. Were you adding the honey for alcohol or flavor? A lot of the flavor and aroma in honey is pretty volatile and will boil off if added at the beginning of the boil. I add a pound at the end of the boil to my DIPA and the flavor comes through.

+1 to EE5, aging this bad boy as long as you can will only make it better. IMHO, do not open until Christmas.

I was adding for the alcohol but even just a hint of the flavour would be nice. This is my first time straying from the main recipe and experimenting with ingredients. I add the honey about half way thru the boil.
The other thing I added was the rye malt "just because" That was intended for both flavor and alcohol.

TxT

Back