my first recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joos

Reaction score
Tonight i will brew my own recipe,just wanted some opinions.I'm going for a slightly carmaly ipa.I know that sounds weird.

5 Oz. crystal 60
8 lbs.light malt extract
4 Oz. malto dextrine(gotta keep up the abv :D)
1 oz nugget
1 Oz.Perle (flavor)
1Oz. cascade
Safeale s-04 dry yeast.

took a sierra nevada knock off and tweeked it.What do ya think?

Well, it's not very much like Sierra Nevada.

I'd skip the malto dextrine ( it doesn't increase ABV, it makes the beer "thick")
and probably not use the nugget and perle hops. Or at least, not both of them. Do you have any other American hops besides the one ounce of cascade? What times were you thinking of adding them?

I'd use s-05, if you have it for yeast.

nugget at 60
perle 30
cascade .5 15
cascade .5 flameout.

Isn't malto dextrine 3/4 malt sugar?

Trust Yooper, she knows what she's talking about. Malto-dextrine is 95% unfermentable sugars, so it adds body/mouthfeel. S-04 is an english style ale yeast which will give you more fruity esters while s-05 will be a cleaner more neutral yeast consistent with american IPAs.

I do trust her.thats why i ask:DThanks for the clarification on the yeast.

nugget at 60
perle 30
cascade .5 15
cascade .5 flameout.

Isn't malto dextrine 3/4 malt sugar?

I'm glad you typed out the hops schedule- I like it after all! I couldn't picture how you were using the perle, but it seems like that should work ok.

I'm a hophead, so I'd probably change the hops schedule a bit, adding more hops closer to flameout, and not using the perle. That's just me, though, and I think you'll be fine with the schedule you posted.

Yeah, lose the MD (yuck, especially in an IPA!) and if you feel you have to have a higher ABV, you can use some corn sugar. I'd not do that, though, if you're looking for a carmelly IPA- the sugar would thin and dry out the beer.

i used whole cascade hops,so they're just floating around in there.Hoping it'll give it a lot of flavor.

Back