My first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noremorse1

Reaction score
This is a mini-mash

3 pounds American 2 Row
1 pound Crystal 40
7 pounds Gold LME

1 oz Centennial 60 min
1 oz Centennial 20 min
2 oz Centennial 5 min
1 oz Centennial Dry Hop

Yeast: Safale US-05

Mash at 152f for 60 minutes. Ferment at 62 degrees for 7-10 days. Transfer to secondary, add hops. Rack in 7-10 days to keg or bottling vessel.

OG at 75% Efficiency for 5 gallons is 1.070
IBU's 78.4

I'm going to go out on a limb here and says that's an IPA or an APA. Either way I'd up the dry hops by about an ounce or so. But I'm hophead, so I would up the hops in anything lighter than an amber ale:D Good luck with your first recipe. :mug:

EDIT: Now that I look at the amount of malt you're using, I would say Double IPA, but my advice to up the dry hops still stands.

EDIT 2: You didn't say whether you were doing a late extract addition or not, but I ran your recipe through BeerSmith and as long as you do a late extract addition for five of your seven pounds of DME, then you should be fine

I'm going to go out on a limb here and says that's an IPA or an APA. Either way I'd up the dry hops by about an ounce or so. But I'm hophead, so I would up the hops in anything lighter than an amber ale:D Good luck with your first recipe. :mug:

EDIT: Now that I look at the amount of malt you're using, I would say Double IPA, but my advice to up the dry hops still stands.

EDIT 2: You didn't say whether you were doing a late extract addition or not, but I ran your recipe through BeerSmith and as long as you do a late extract addition for five of your seven pounds of DME, then you should be fine

I get my malt in bulk so all I can do with extract is estimate. I almost always add half of the lme at the beginning and half with about 15 minutes left. That is what I did here.

The hydrometer reading came in at exactly 1.070. I rehydrated my yeast and pitched. I probably should of pitched 2 packets but, we shall see. It is fermenting nicely at about 67 degrees right now. It has warmed up with fermentation kicking off.

I would rather have it at 62 but, this is a really clean yeast. I still dont have my temperature controller in for my fermentation chamber. When I do... WOOHOO

Question for you. I read on the Danstar page that with highly floculant yeasts it will suck up some of the IBU's. You have any idea how much?

Just took my first hydrometer reading after 5 days in the primary. It is looking like its between 1.012 and 1.014. Woohoo... I didn't get the 1.020 blues even at 64-66ish.

Tasted pretty green but, that is to be expected. Many was it bitter too. This could be one of my best brews yet and the beauty is, I created the recipe. Well, sorta. I took one I liked and made a bunch of changes to it.

That should taste pretty close to Bells Two Hearted Ale. Very simple grain bill, all Centenial. I would love it, you should too :D

Back