My first mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miked597

Reaction score
I plan on making this. Any input would be a great help. I've never done AG yet but trying to make my own equipment.

image-3868676831.jpg

I think i Remember reading a description by John Palmer on how to build the manifold. The work was beyond me so i went with braided hose. I never get a stuck sparge and my efficiencies are pretty high.

I had the copper laying around the house so I thought I'd get creative!

Are u batch or fly sparging? If batch sparging it doesn't really matter how you drain as long as your grain filter doesn't get stuck. If you fly sparge the manifold geometry is extremely important.

I going to try fly sparging. I've only done 6 extract batches so far but like they say go big or go home😄🍻🍻🍻🍻

Wow, thats a lot of tube. Mine is only about 10" long and slotted on the bottom every 5mm or so with a junior hacksaw, the flow rate is nice and slow, the catchment area is small so the natural filter area ( from the grain ) is also small and so I think finer. With so much pipe the natural filter area is huge, the flow rate if too fast will stop the natural filter happening. That was my reason for not using a false bottom, clearly many find it satisfactory. For me, slow it down and let it come out cleaner.

Back